Friday, January 1, 2016

December Wrap-Up


December Overview


I hope everyone had an awesome December and survived the holiday stress. What gifts did you give and get? I gave my dad a mini drone and my mom a coloring book. I got a Barnes & Noble gift card, a suitcase, a calendar, slippers, a desk lamp, and a space heater. I also ate a lot of really good food.




Books I Read


I read 11 books in December. The ones with the * by them were read as research for the Giant Essay From Hell and won’t be reviewed. The rest will have reviews up eventually.

*On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and Peace – Dave Grossman
*Burning Down the House: Essays on Fiction – Charles Baxter
Blankets – Craig Thompson
Jellicoe Road – Melina Marchetta
Going Bovine – Libba Bray


Best Books of December


These are my three favorite books from the month:





2. Blankets – Craig Thompson






Most Popular Reviews


These are the most-viewed reviews from December:



Most Popular Non-Reviews


These are December’s most-viewed non-reviews:



Tentative January TBR


Here are some of the books I plan to read in January. Let me know if you’ve read any of them.

Ship Breaker - Paolo Bacigalupi
Where Things Come Back - John Corey Whaley
In Darkness - Nick Lake
Midwinterblood - Marcus Sedgwick
I’ll Give You The Sun - Jandy Nelson


All The Things


All The Things (AKA my TBR pile) = 47 books. Yeah, it’s time for a serious book-buying ban.

I’m currently reading Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi.





Happy New Year and see you around the blogosphere!







14 comments:

  1. OMG that wrapping picture is so me. I am the worst. I always use bags except for the kids. Sounds like you got a lot great things for Christmas. I need to put myself on a book buying and ARC requesting ban. I am excited because I have Carry On finally checked out from the library and can't wait to get to it!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me and gift wrapping don’t get along. I go through so much tape.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you had a really busy December! Love your wrap-up images. That gingerbread meme is really heavy, hehe. Hope you have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much love for Carry On <3 Happy New Year!

    Katie @ The Queen of Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great month here!!! Love good food during the holidays!!! Hope you had a fun time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a great month. It would be really hard to go on a book buying ban with that new gift card begging to be used...lol. I hate wrapping gifts so I love the wrapping photo. I always try to get my husband to do it for me and it usually works.

    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, December looks like a bookishly diverse month for you! I remember reading Peter Pan when I was about 8 and being bored out of my mind! But I need to reread it someday, maybe my opinion has changed! Hope you like I'll Give You The Sun! I haven't read it, but I adored The Sky Is Everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see how the original Peter Pan wouldn’t appeal to modern children. It’s slower and denser than a lot of modern children’s literature.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. Your TBR is down to 47 books?!?! How is that even possible? I am impressed - especially with your goal to read older books.

    I'm not going to lie, I haven't read any of these, but have seen feed floating around a lot lately. Wish you the best for this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 47 books? I have over 6000 on my TBR pile! Carry On looks really great, yeah that you enjoyed it! Hope you have a good year! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you got your mom a coloring book for Christmas. They're all the rage right now, in fact, I use them myself. :-)
    Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete