Thursday, October 6, 2016

September Wrap-Up


September Overview


1. The month started with a bang. Literally. Something exploded under the street, and the water pipes to my house had to be shut off. If you wanted to pee at my house, you had to scoop water from a bucket and dump it in the toilet. Luckily, everything got fixed pretty quickly.







2. A few weeks after the street exploded, I was taking a shower during a windstorm, and the wind slammed my front door open. If you own a pet, then you know that if a door is open for more than 1.76 seconds, the pet will exit the house. My idiot dog, Cheyenne, escaped and went rampaging through the neighborhood. I jumped out of the shower, threw on a few clothes, and ran down the street barefoot while screaming “Cheyenne, get back here!” and trying to keep my hair conditioner out of my eyes. (That stuff stings.) I apologize to my neighbors. I did catch the dog, though.

My dogs showing their talent for running. Cheyenne is the brown one.




3. At the end of the month, there was a gas leak in my house. Do you know where I was while my home was filling with deadly gas? In the shower. Why do bad things always happen when I’m naked?




4. Let’s talk about something that happened while I was clothed. Remember that lecture I was working on for months? Well, it’s going to be a real thing. In November, a bunch of writers are going to spend 30 minutes of their lives listening to me talk about nonlinear narrative structure. Cue the crippling panic.





5. I took my camera exploring and now have way too many pictures.







Books I Read


I read 11 books in September. There were a bunch I liked and none I wanted to burn, so it was a successful reading month.



All the Bright Places – Jennifer Niven
The One and Only Ivan – Katherine Applegate
The Gigantic Beard that was Evil – Stephen Collins
The Exorcist – William Peter Blatty

I also made progress on my reading challenges. Click here to see how I'm doing.



Best Books of September




2. All the Bright Places – Jennifer Niven
3. The One and Only Ivan – Katherine Applegate




Most-Viewed Reviews








Most-Viewed Non-Reviews






Tentative October TBR


Here’s what I hope to read in October. I won’t be able to get to all of them because several of them are massive.





All The Things!


All The Things (AKA number of unread books on my TBR shelf) = 27 books.

I’m currently reading A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab.






I hope you have a fabulous October!











15 comments:

  1. Ah crazy month huh??? I really liked Furiously Happy and All the Bright Places too. Hope you have a great October and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a little too crazy for my liking. Things need to stop breaking.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. Oh, no! Something exploded under the street?? How terrifying! I'd hate to dump water in the toilet to flush it. D: I'm sorry you had to go through that.

    So you took your camera out exploring and didn't take pictures of your books outside? Do you have a Bookstagram, btw? I don't remember if we follow each other on there..

    Good luck with your talk!! You'll nail it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m not on Bookstagram. I love taking nature photos, but I’ve never had much luck with book photos.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have had some bad luck with your house/street this month! I'm glad everything is ok now though, and I hope you can start showering in peace! I am definitely familiar with the whole 'pet running the minute the door is open thing' though. My dog doesn't even get that far, I usually just find her sniffing about in the neighbours garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s good that your dog doesn’t go far. One of my dogs will stay in the yard, but the other one likes to explore.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  4. WOW, that was some crazy nonsense in your (naked) life this past month!! I would love to attend your lecture, although I haven't actually read any of the books you reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lecture is going to be recorded, so there will be video evidence of it. If I don’t completely humiliate myself, I might post it on the blog.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I'm so glad you got your toilet problems fixed! XD That's awful though. I'm still really excited to see your review of The One and Only Ivan! I've been wanting to read that for so long! Your TBR looks great too! Ghosts of Heaven is also on my list!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m looking forward to Ghosts of Heaven. So many books, so little time.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  6. 11 books is great! Congrats to you!

    We've been having water problems here too. It sucks. I'm glad to hear everything was fixed pretty quickly though!

    Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg you had a wild time! But I mean, OBVIOUSLY the answer to this is: never have a shower. Then things won't go wrong and you'll be safe! #sensible And your dog is SO CUTE N'AWWW. And devious I see.😂 My dog will bust free if given the opportunity, but luckily he's not run away so far when my dad hasn't been here to yell at him to get back. Hahah. Why doesn't my dog listen to me? WHAT IS MY LIFE. Ahem.
    Also yyyyyayyyy that you liked All The Bright Places!! *SHRIEKS* That is one of my all time most favourite books of the universe. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, my dog is very devious. She doesn’t listen to me at all. I’m not sure if that’s because she’s going deaf or because she just doesn’t care. She does whatever she wants.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. Oh no, I hope no more crazy things happen while you're in the shower! And good luck with your lecture - I'm sure you'll be amazing! I kind of wish I could listen to it - nonlinear narrative structure sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete