Saturday, September 17, 2016

The “I Blame School” Book Haul


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently.

I needed to get Guys Read: Funny Business and Fake ID for school. Somehow, I ended up with those 2 books plus 4 others. How does this always happen to me? Let me know if you’ve read any of these.




The Exorcist – William Peter Blatty


Four decades after it first shook the nation, then the world, William Peter Blatty's thrilling masterwork of faith and demonic possession returns in an even more powerful form. Raw and profane, shocking and blood-chilling, it remains a modern parable of good and evil and perhaps the most terrifying novel ever written.





Guys Read: Funny Business – Jon Scieszka (editor)


Funny Business is based around the theme of—what else?—humor, and if you’re familiar with Jon and Guys Read, you already know what you’re in store for: ten hilarious stories from some of the funniest writers around. Before you’re through, you’ll meet a teenage mummy; a kid desperate to take a dip in the world’s largest pool of chocolate milk; a homicidal turkey; parents who hand over their son’s room to a biker; the only kid in his middle school who hasn’t turned into a vampire, wizard, or superhero; and more.





Fake ID – Lamar Giles


Nick Pearson is hiding in plain sight . . . . 
My name isn’t really Nick Pearson. 
I shouldn’t tell you where I’m from or why my family moved to Stepton, Virginia. 
I shouldn’t tell you who I really am, or my hair, eye, and skin color. 
And I definitely shouldn’t tell you about my friend Eli Cruz and the major conspiracy he was about to uncover when he died—right after I moved to town. About how I had to choose between solving his murder with his hot sister, Reya, and “staying low-key” like the Program has taught me. About how moving to Stepon changed my life forever. 
But I’m going to.





A Gathering of Shadows – V.E. Schwab


It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift–back into Black London. 
Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games–an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries–a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port. 
And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.





The Gigantic Beard that was Evil – Stephen Collins


On the buttoned-down island of Here, all is well. By which we mean: orderly, neat, contained and, moreover, beardless. 
Or at least it is until one famous day, when Dave, bald but for a single hair, finds himself assailed by a terrifying, unstoppable . . . monster*! 
Where did it come from? How should the islanders deal with it? And what, most importantly, are they going to do with Dave? 
(*We mean a gigantic beard, basically.)





Station Eleven – Emily St. John Mandel


An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.








9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Station Eleven. I would love to see what you think of A Gathering of Shadows. Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually read The Exorcist, but saw the movie obviously. I bet the book is even creepier. The book is almost always better than the movie. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Exorcist sounds scary. I hope you love all of your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have A Gathering Of Shadows, but have not had time to read it yet! I loved the first book! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I try to keep myself in the library instead of the bookstore, because inevitably I do the same thing.

    I loved the Schwab. I've had Station Eleven out from the library for quite awhile and need to read it before I run out of renewals. Fake ID sounds like it might go over well in my classroom, so thanks for sharing it.

    And I will NEVER read (or watch) The Exorcist. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember starting The Exorcist one summer long ago while working at a flea market - it was 50 cents. Don't think I finished it though. Great haul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really excited to see what you think of The Exorcist! I've seen the movie a couple times, but I'd like to read the book too! I'm also interested in Station Eleven. That's another one I've always meant to read and just never have!

    Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot get over this title: The Gigantic Beard that was evil. EPIC! AS is the cover lol!

    ReplyDelete