Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Not-So-Inspiring Quotes


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is top ten inspiring quotes from books.

I’m not an inspirational quote type of person. I don’t keep a quote notebook like a lot of book bloggers do. So, I’m going to put my own spin on this list and pick quotes from a few of the books I’ve read so far this year. They may not be inspirational, but they’ll be quotes. Or, I hope they’ll be quotes. Goodreads, I’m really trusting you to help me with this.



Not-So-Inspirational Quotes

1. “I've learned quite a lot, over the years, by avoiding what I was supposed to be learning.” – Moral Disorder: And Other Stories, Margaret Atwood

2. “To hurt is as human as to breathe.” – The Tales of Beedle the Bard, J.K. Rowling.

3. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Coraline, Neil Gaiman

4. “First thought: It was a dream.
Second thought: No it wasn't.
Third thought: Crap.” – Twisted, Laurie Halse Anderson

5. “I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic! I try to give that to people. I misrepresent things to them. I don't tell the truth, I tell what ought to be the truth. And if that's sinful, then let me be damned for it!” – A Streetcar Named Desire, Tennessee Williams

6. “To really be a nerd, she'd decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.” – Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell

7. “If he wants to be an asshole, it's a free country. Millions before him have made the same life choice.” – Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

8. “Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.” – The Drawing of the Three, Stephen King

9. “We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt. And in the end, we will stand.” – The Drawing of the Three, Stephen King

10. “People need such stories, because however dark, a darkness with voices in it is better than a silent void.” – MaddAddam, Margaret Atwood

12 comments:

  1. I love love love the Tennessee Williams quote. A Streetcar Named Desire is a classic for a Reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list of quotes! I really love the one from The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Super gorgeous quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quotes!! And especially the one by Abraham Lincoln - he was before his time, right? ;-)

    And dragons can be beaten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these quotes! Of course the J.K. Rowling one, and the one about being an asshole really appeals to me for some reason. And I also really love the last Stephen King quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the one about dragons!!! I totally forgot to include it in my list! And the last one...and Abraham Lincoln's!!! I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, love the Abe Lincoln.;)
    #3 is a favorite I meant to put on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a brilliant J.K. Rowling quote you'very chosen. It's beautiful! I have a few Harry Potter quotes on my list.
    Lauren @ http://myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.com/2015/04/teaser-and-top-ten-tuesday-14-april.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quotes! I usually enjoy the not so inspiring ones. The dark and dramatic ones. I picked a few but the ones I have are mostly upbeat.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Fangilr quote is great. I love it. The Beedle the Bard quote is great as well.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! While I enjoy reading inspirational quotes, I don't have many favorites. I also don't commit them to memory - that's an extremely precious resource I use for remembering important things like what year it is. I completely agree with Abe Lincoln's quote, by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I loved the Oryx and Crake quote! I also enjoyed your spin on the meme.

    Top Ten Inspiration Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean^^ I basically went with quotes that just moved/touched me for whatever reason, not necessarily ones that inspired me. And tbh, I don't write down quotes either, so I resorted to Goodreads to look up some favorites LOL I love the one you picked from Tales of Beedle the Bard and the one from Fangirl especially because I've read those ♥ But the one from A Streetcar Named Desire and Margaret Atwood are wonderful as well! Awesome picks^^ and thanks for stopping by my TTT yesterday! New follower via Bloglovin' :)

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

    ReplyDelete