Friday, April 22, 2016

FF Friday: In Which I Tell You The Ways That An Author Can Annoy A Book Blogger


Feature & Follow is a weekly blog hop hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. This week is all about authors and reviewers behaving badly. I’ve decided to list some ways that an author can annoy a book blogger. I wouldn’t call all of these things “bad behavior,” but if you want your book reviewed, you probably shouldn’t do them.




How Authors (Usually Inadvertently) Annoy Book Bloggers




Not reading the review policy. Most book bloggers have a review policy on their blogs. It explains what types of books the blogger reviews, how the reviews work, where they are posted, etc. Reading the review policy can prevent misunderstandings and nasty surprises for both the blogger and author.



Not proofreading emails. Typos happen. They’re a fact of Internet life. However, if an author’s review request emails are riddled with noticeable typos, it may make a blogger hesitant to read an entire book written by that author. 



Trashing book reviewers on social media. It is extremely difficult to write a book, and it can be painful to see that book torn apart by a reviewer, but it’s best for authors to vent their pain to a friend, not to social media. Trashing a book blogger will just make other bloggers unwilling to work with that author. Nobody wants to be badmouthed online.



The phrase “You can’t post a review if . . .” Bloggers do not like being told how to review. It’s a huge turn-off to see a review request that says, “You can’t post a review that contains criticism,” or “You can’t rate this book below three stars.” 



Friending a blogger on social media and then immediately requesting a review. Many bloggers see social media as a way to connect with others who share their bookish passion. Friending a blogger and then immediately sending a review request can make a blogger feel used. Bloggers are people who want to interact with other people. They are not review-spewing machines. (Actually, scratch that last part, I’m totally a review-spewing machine.)  



Arguing. If a blogger turns down a review request, it’s probably not personal. Arguing with the blogger won’t make the blogger change his/her mind. Also, arguing about a negative review is unprofessional. Book bloggers talk to each other, and word will spread quickly if an author is argumentative. No one will want to work with an author who makes the review process difficult.



Taking reviews too seriously. A review is one person’s opinion. It will probably not make or break an author’s career. Many readers (including myself) will read an interesting-sounding book no matter what the reviews say.
 
 
Just be nice to each other . . .  









The follow part of FF Friday: If you are a book blogger and you leave a link to your blog in the comments below, I will follow you on Bloglovin’. If you want to be friends on Goodreads, TwitterBookLikes, or G+, that would be awesome, too. Click the links to go to my pages on those sites. I’m looking forward to “meeting” you. 








12 comments:

  1. I agree with all your points, AJ. Well summarized :)
    Old follower.
    Have a grt weekend!
    Here is my FF
    -Njkinny @Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. So authors try to tell you what you can and can't say in your reviews? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ones!! In my review policy I say I will only respond to requests I am accepting which is just because of time. I had one badger me about not responding. The kicker was it was for a book not in the genres that I say I review!!! Anyways again I agree - Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! I always get annoyed whenever an author befriends me and then all they do is just promote their books to me instead of talking to me about books they've read. I probably would be more interested in reviewing their books if they tried to interact with me more often.

    Here’s My FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said. I do get a lot of review request and ignore most of them. I am always amazed by how many spelling and grammar errors I see in these requests. I would not be happy if someone told me which reviews I could post. Great post!

    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done book tours where you can't review the book below 3 stars. I get the idea, of course, but I just always thought it was a bit shady. If you're paying for a service like a book tour, then you don't want bad publicity. But it never sat well with me that if I rated a book below 3 stars, I'd have to a spotlight post or something instead. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I've seen an author's reputation become fairly ruined when she wouldn't leave a reviewer alone about changing the review. It got quite heated and than other reviewers made sure to give the book one star just to get back at the author. I felt sad for her. While I don't agree she had the right to ask for the reviewer to change the review, I don't hold to other reviewers getting on the bandwagon and adding to the disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post and I agree with all your points especially about friending a blogger and then immediately asking for a review. A good reason to unfriend as quickly as possible. Don't even get me started on the demand that a review be at least 3 stars. What a cheek!
    Following back :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I especially relate to the "don't review if you rate this below 3 stars" point. That way I feel like I'm compromising my integrity to be honest. Great post.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not proofreading emails is one that really bugs me - I agree that if you can't write a simple email, I don't have much faith in your ability to write a book. Pretty much all of the others are annoying too! :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES! I agree with all of these. I HATE authors that get pissy when you deny a review request. Especially because I'm always respectful and it's not personal. I had one once that got really angry about it. SO RUDE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree!! You summed it up SO WELL. I've never had an author befriend me to get a review yet...but omg I get SO MANY that don't read my policies. And I changed my policy to "NO REQUESTS EVER" and...I'd get emails that are like "So I know you don't take review requests buuuut..." Um. No? Like, what part of NO is really difficult to understand!? Gah.
    I also really think authors shouldn't be reading reviews. XD hehe. I mean, obviously self-published authors have to do more work to get reviewers and be more aware of their reviews. But I still think they shouldn't read/argue them! I've had an author try to explain/justify some things I wrote as negatives of their book. 0_0 It was super weird.

    ReplyDelete