Saturday, April 21, 2018

Twenty Questions Book Tag




I first saw this tag on Books, Vertigo & Tea, which is an excellent book blog. You should go check it out.













Twenty Questions Book Tag





1. How many books are too many in a series?


Anything more than 3. I have a terrible memory and have to reread a series before every new book comes out. I can handle doing that with a trilogy. If I have to reread 10 books to prepare for the 11th? Nope. Not going to happen.








2. How do you feel about cliffhangers?


Mildly annoyed. I’d prefer if books didn’t end with cliffhangers, but if the book is part of a series, I can live with it.








3. Hardback or paperback?


Hardback. If I like a book, I reread it many times. Several of my old paperbacks are held together with glue sticks and rubber bands because I’ve read them to death. Hardbacks don’t usually fall apart.








4. Favorite book?


Favorite book ever? How am I supposed to choose? It’s probably easier for a parent to choose a favorite child than for a bookworm to choose a favorite book. Okay. If I had to choose, I’d pick The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. That book got me interested in dystopias and nonlinear narrative structure.








5. Least favorite book?


This is much easier. I hate everything by James Joyce and Virginia Woolf. I don’t understand why college professors are so obsessed with those authors. I had to read a ton of their work. I found all of it tedious and/or incomprehensible.








6. Love triangles, yes or no?


Yes! Like all readers, I adore love triangles!

No, I’m just joking. I’d rather not have love triangles in my books unless they’re satirical (like in The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich) or they make logical sense (like in Tin Man by Sarah Winman).



 




7. The most recent book you couldn’t finish?


Dome of the Hidden Pavilion: New Poems by James Tate. I could have finished it, but I chose not to. It’s weird and funny, but I didn’t understand why I was reading it. If the author was trying to tell me something, I wasn’t getting the message.








8. A book you are currently reading?


A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. It’ll probably take me 10 years to catch up on this series, and the next book still won’t be ready for publication.








9. Last book you recommended to someone?


Here are the books I’ve been recommending to everybody lately: This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee; The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock; Scythe by Neal Shusterman; and The Butcher’s Hook by Janet Ellis.






 


10. Oldest book you’ve read (publication date)?


This is hard because I took ancient lit classes in college. I honestly don’t remember the oldest thing I’ve read. I read a bunch of ancient Greek literature. That was old. I also vaguely remember The Epic of Gilgamesh. Isn’t that one of the oldest surviving pieces of literature or something? I don’t think I read the whole Epic. Clearly, my ancient lit classes made a huge impression on me. I don’t even remember what I read.








11. Newest book you’ve read (publication date)?


Dread Nation by Justina Ireland was published a few weeks ago.








12. Favorite author?


My favorite author ever? If I say all my favorites really fast, it might sound like one long name: Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, Gary Paulsen, Rainbow Rowell, Markus Zusak, J.K. Rowling, V.E. Schwab, Marcus Sedgwick, Neal Shusterman.



  




13. Buying books or borrowing books?


Buying. For some reason, I feel the need to keep a book on my shelf for 6+ months before reading it. Then I wonder why I didn’t read it sooner.








14. A book you dislike that everybody seems to love?


There are so many! I’m a very contrary human. Okay . . . how can I cause the maximum amount of shock and outrage with this question? Um, I thought The Lunar Chronicles were boring. *Gasp!* The horror!








15. Bookmarks or dog-ears?


Bookmarks. If you’re going to keep the book, you can do whatever you want with it, but if you dog-ear a book that you plan to trade or sell, I will hunt you down and end you.








16. A book you can always reread?


Harry Potter. Is anyone surprised by this?








17. Can you read while listening to music?


I can, but I prefer not to. I need silence to concentrate on what I’m reading. That’s also why I can’t read in public. I get distracted by all the stuff happening around me.








18. One point-of-view or multiple?


Either, as long as it’s done well.








19. Do you read a book in one sitting or over multiple days?


Multiple days. I’m actually a painfully slow reader. I read for at least 4 hours a day and still only manage to get through 2 books a week. Even short books seem to take me forever.








20. A book you read because of the cover?


I don’t think I’ve ever read a book only because of the cover, but I do seem to be attracted to space-landscape-house photos. I picked up these because of the covers. They look like an army of beautiful clones, don't they?










Do you want to do this tag? Consider yourself tagged.







18 comments:

  1. Love the cover for Dread Nation. And gasp only 3 books in a series?!! One of my favorites has hit mid40s. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the too many books. There are a few series I read that have more than three books and it's often just too many. I only read Cinder, and I thought it was just okay. So, I hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting to where I crave good stand-alones. Everything is a series now. Gah! Laughing over the need to let a book sit for six months before reading it. I can relate. What is this strange affliction we have? I'm also a slower reader. It boggles my mind when people talk about reading 5 books a week or something. It's like a superpower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than Stephen King, whom I admire but whose books are usually to horrorific for me, I heart all of your favorite authors too. I'm totally stealing this tag in my attempt to not kill off my blog while unable to process anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fun set of questions. The Handmaid's Tale continues to top my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I can always reread Harry Potter, too! I know I read The Handmaid's Tale in high school, but I don't remember a ton about it and just requested it from the library so I can reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed when you called the books you read for the covers "clones", because I was thinking they were all really similar. I am with you. No more than 3 books IF it's a serial. I will let companion series have a million books, if I love the "world". I just finished the 14th book in a romance series this morning, and I'm like, "Keep em coming."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh LAUGHING at your comment about Game of Thrones.😂I read them all in 1 year and SO many regrets. By the time the next one comes out (15 years from now???) I'll have forgotten everything lol lol.😂And I love cliffhangers! I love torment obviously, I mean what bookworm doesn't want to be in paIN. (Don't answer that.😂)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also read very slowly so I have to choose wisely. I do prefer to own my hardcovers so I can keep them in mint condition (I gasp out loud if I crinkle a page!!). I'll have to remember your favorite author trick here and say all mine fast too. I don't read with music and since my husband always has the TV on, sometimes just to make noise he says, I read in another room without the distraction. I do enjoy summer time reading with nature sounds--very relaxing unless a blue jay decides to give his opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate all classic literature. Boring. And yes to those covers. Especially Good morning, Midnight and agents of dreamland- they're pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I was able to read for 4 hours a day. I can listen to audiobooks that long but I rarely get that much time to sit down and read. I have a hard time reading if there are distractions. If my husband turns off the TV, I can either go to another room or put the book down and watch the show...unless it is sports which I can half watch while reading without any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Smell of Other People's Houses! I loved and adored that book. 📚

    "If the author was trying to tell me something, I wasn't getting it," ha ha, I feel that way about most poetry. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah I'm working on this tag over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the old drawings/things you put in this post! I also agree about the series limit-- I prefer shorter series on the whole BUT I have read a series that is like twelve books long and I kind of like it? But it's a series where you don't have to have read every single book in order so maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I should do some tags. Lately I feel like I just don't have time to blog, but these are fun and easy posts to do. I actually remembering liking James Joyce when I was in school but now I remember absolutely nothing about why. I think I'll just preserve my vague memory and leave it at that.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you can't remember your ancient lit reading. That's a great recommendation for the course, Not!!
    I think I will have a go at this tag too. There's interesting questions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome Tag!! I like series too, but I too feel like at some point you stop remembering all the details. Since I never re-read i rely on other people's summaries and book tags when I continue a series. I like hardback and paperback, since I don't re-read I don't mind either lol

    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this tag! I'm the same way about reading in public or with music. The only exception is classical for when the house is too quiet but that's more to fill up the silence. Anything with words is a big no. Oh James Joyce and I are not friends. I had to read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man in high school and I think it might have broken me. I've been too chicken to try Joyce again ever since.

    ReplyDelete