Saturday, April 7, 2018

Book Haul: Love And Other Scary Things




Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently. Here are some books about love and other scary things.






The “Love And Other Scary Things” Book Haul










If I Was Your Girl – Meredith Russo


Amanda Hardy is the new girl in school. Like anyone else, all she wants is to make friends and fit in. But Amanda is keeping a secret, and she's determined not to get too close to anyone.

But when she meets sweet, easygoing Grant, Amanda can't help but start to let him into her life. As they spend more time together, she realizes just how much she is losing by guarding her heart. She finds herself yearning to share with Grant everything about herself, including her past. But Amanda's terrified that once she tells him the truth, he won't be able to see past it.

Because the secret that Amanda's been keeping? It's that at her old school, she used to be Andrew. Will the truth cost Amanda her new life, and her new love?

















The Whipping Boy – Sid Fleischman

A shout comes echoing up the stairway "Fetch the whipping boy!"
A young orphan named Jemmy rouses from his sleep. "Ain't I already been whipped twice today? Gaw! What's the prince done now? It was forbidden to spank, thrash, or whack the heir to the throne. Jemmy had been plucked from the streets to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat. 




















The Women In The Walls – Amy Lukavics

Lucy Acosta's mother died when she was three. Growing up in a Victorian mansion in the middle of the woods with her cold, distant father, she explored the dark hallways of the estate with her cousin, Margaret. They're inseparable—a family.  
When her aunt Penelope, the only mother she's ever known, tragically disappears while walking in the woods surrounding their estate, Lucy finds herself devastated and alone. Margaret has been spending a lot of time in the attic. She claims she can hear her dead mother's voice whispering from the walls. Emotionally shut out by her father, Lucy watches helplessly as her cousin's sanity slowly unravels. But when she begins hearing voices herself, Lucy finds herself confronting an ancient and deadly legacy that has marked the women in her family for generations.














Salvation On Sand Mountain: Snake Handling And Redemption In Southern Appalachia – Dennis Covington

The people of Southern Appalachia are hill people of Scottish-Irish descent—religious mystics who cast out demons, drink strychnine, and handle rattlesnakes. When the author, himself Scottish-Irish, uncovers records of snake-handling Covingtons, he decides to take up serpents. The result is one quirky, unforgettable read.

















Dear Martin – Nic Stone


Justyce McAllister is top of his class and set for the Ivy League—but none of that matters to the police officer who just put him in handcuffs. And despite leaving his rough neighborhood behind, he can't escape the scorn of his former peers or the ridicule of his new classmates. Justyce looks to the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for answers. But do they hold up anymore? He starts a journal to Dr. King to find out.

Then comes the day Justyce goes driving with his best friend, Manny, windows rolled down, music turned up—way up, sparking the fury of a white off-duty cop beside them. Words fly. Shots are fired. Justyce and Manny are caught in the crosshairs. In the media fallout, it's Justyce who is under attack.
















Have you read any of these? What did you think?





26 comments:

  1. Nice haul. Though all these books are new to me except Dear Martin. I want to read it too but it is quite costly :)

    I hope you enjoy all of your new book :)

    My STS: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/04/stacking-the-shelves-21/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I Was Your Girl is one I want to get to. Salvation On Sand Mountain sounds interesting. Enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, these all look so good. Salvation on Sand Mountain looks particularly interesting, and I've been wanting to try The Women in the Walls for a while. Really hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious about If I Was Your Girl. And I have an ARC of Dear Martin that Nicole from Feed Your Fiction Addiction was lovely enough to send to me, so I hope to finally read that soon!!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always find such interesting books! The Women in the Walls sounds a bit creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice variety. The Women in the Walls sounds WAY creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I Was Your Girl definitely sounds interesting, and The Women in the Walls sounds super creepy! I feel like I don't read enough horror books, so I might have to check that one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen these before, but I hope you enjoy the variety!!
    http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/04/stacking-shelves.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about the Women in the Walls. Haunted houses always creep me out, the most scary kind of horror stories are haunted house stories.

    My STS post

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm familiar with most of these but haven't read any of them (I think I might own Women in the Walls). Hope you love them all! Happy reading!
    Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great haul this week, enjoy your new treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I'm intrigued by If I Was Your Girl. I might look for that! Hope you enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I Was Your Girl has been on my TBR for a long while. I heard great things. Looking forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great book haul! I have been wanting to read Dear Martin for the longest time. I sounds so good and I love the cover. I hope you enjoy it and the rest of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful book haul this week. I've been curious about If I Was Your Girl. The Women In The Walls sounds scary. I hope you enjoy all your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, you got Dear Martin :) haven't read it, but certainly heard a lot about it. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy your books! The Women In The Walls sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, impressive list of books! If I Was Your Girl and The Women in the Walls are especially intriguing.

    Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have heard so many great things about Dear Martin. That is one that I would like to read. I hope you enjoy all of these, AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so going to have to read The Woman in the Walls...Right up my alley. I hope you enjoy all your new books. They sound awesome. Have a great week of reading!

    Mary my #SundayRoundup #13!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I watch video of these people dancing around and praying with snakes and I can't help feeling that most of them will die at some point by snake bite!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard such great things about Dear Martin!! Awesome Haul
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you like Dear Martin and If I Was Your Girl. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Women In The Walls sounds wonderfully creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really want to read Dear Martin! I can't wait to know what you'll think about that one.

    ReplyDelete