Saturday, July 22, 2017

The “This Might Be A Bad Idea” Book Haul


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently. I had used bookstore credits, and I decided to spend them on some books at the fringes of my comfort zone. These are books that have been described as “Meh” by reviewers I trust, or books that don’t completely sound like my kind of thing. I’m a believer in getting out of your reading comfort zone, so I’m going to give them a try. Maybe I’ll love them.







The Girl Who Drank The Moon – Kelly Barnhill


Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. Xan rescues the abandoned children and delivers them to welcoming families on the other side of the forest, nourishing the babies with starlight on the journey.  
One year, Xan accidentally feeds a baby moonlight instead of starlight, filling the ordinary child with extraordinary magic. Xan decides she must raise this enmagicked girl, whom she calls Luna, as her own. To keep young Luna safe from her own unwieldy power, Xan locks her magic deep inside her. When Luna approaches her thirteenth birthday, her magic begins to emerge on schedule—but Xan is far away. Meanwhile, a young man from the Protectorate is determined to free his people by killing the witch. Soon, it is up to Luna to protect those who have protected her—even if it means the end of the loving, safe world she’s always known.







The Upside Of Unrequited – Becky Albertalli


Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful. 
Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back. 
There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?







Fantastic Mr. Fox – Roald Dahl


Fantastic Mr. Fox is on the run! The three meanest farmers around are out to get him. Fat Boggis, squat Bunce, and skinny Bean have joined forces, and they have Mr. Fox and his family surrounded. What they don’t know is that they’re not dealing with just any fox–Mr. Fox would never surrender. But only the most fantastic plan ever can save him now.







Escape From Eden – Elisa Nader


Since the age of ten, Mia has lived under the iron fist of the fundamentalist preacher who lured her mother away to join his fanatical family of followers. In Edenton, a supposed “Garden of Eden” deep in the South American jungle, everyone follows the Reverend’s strict but arbitrary rules—even the mandate of whom they can marry. Now sixteen, Mia dreams of slipping away from the armed guards who keep the faithful in, and the curious out. When the rebellious and sexy Gabriel, a new boy, arrives with his family, Mia sees a chance to escape. 
But the scandalous secrets the two discover beyond the compound’s façade are more shocking than anything they ever imagined. While Gabriel has his own terrible secrets, he and Mia band together, more than friends and freedom fighters. But is there time to think of each other as they race to stop the Reverend’s paranoid plan to free his flock from the corrupt world? Can two teenagers crush a criminal mastermind? And who will die in the fight to save the ones they love from a madman who’s only concerned about his own secrets?






This book shouldn’t be in this haul because it’s a very good idea. I won it in a giveaway and am overly excited to read it. That's why I'm shoving it in this haul instead of the next one.





History Is All You Left Me – Adam Silvera


When Griffin’s first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he’s been imagining for himself has gone far off course. 
To make things worse, the only person who truly understands his heartache is Jackson. But no matter how much they open up to each other, Griffin’s downward spiral continues. He’s losing himself in his obsessive compulsions and destructive choices, and the secrets he’s been keeping are tearing him apart. 
If Griffin is ever to rebuild his future, he must first confront his history, every last heartbreaking piece in the puzzle of his life. 






Have you read any of these? What did you think? 







16 comments:

  1. A lot of different types of books. I hope you love all of them.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Becky Albertalli! :-) I hope you enjoy these books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think The Upside of Unrequited sounds kinda good. And Maybe The Girl Who Drank The Moon too? Seems like I saw a good reviews of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Fantastic Mr. Fox a long time ago. I liked it, but I was a child then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read The Upside of Unrequited, which I liked but didn't love. And also History Is All You Left Me but I didn't finish that one. I hope I'm not scaring you away from these titles now. I just wasn't into them much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these, but I've seen The Upside of Unrequited all over the place lately. I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of it at some point. Looks like a great haul for you. - Katie

    Here's my STS: http://justanothergirlandherbooks.blogspot.de/2017/07/stacking-shelves-22-july-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Lots of great reads here! The Girl Who Drank the Moon looks really interesting!

    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post makes me laugh because yeah, I probably wouldn't push any of these books on you. That being said, I personally loved Upside of Unrequited, and I keep checking out The Girl Who Drank the Moon from the library and then having to return it unread because it's on their "un-renewable" list still. I liked History is All You Left me a lot too, but that Eden books sounds pretty dang sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Upside was adorable. I loved Molly! I have not read any of Adam Silvera's books, but I heart they are quite heartbreakingly good. Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great books in your haul. I really want to read Adam Silvera's books as I only hear good things about them. I hope you enjoy your books :)

    Danica @ Shelves of Spines
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! Going outside your comfort zone can be a surprising adventure. Enjoy! I've been eyeing The Upside of Unrequited. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Girl Who Drank The Moon! That is on my TBR (not owned yet, though). That's a great grab :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Fantastic Mr Fox as a child and still have a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've actually heard good things about The Girl Who Drank the Moon and hey, it's a gorgeous cover so I say Go For It!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of these but I hope you end up enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. History is All You Left Me was such a great read! It will definitely make you cry bc it's so emotional and just full of feelings. Good luck!

    -Kayl @ Kayl's Krazy Obsession

    ReplyDelete