Wednesday, April 26, 2017

V is for “Vacation”

Welcome to the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. Every day in April (except Sundays), I’ll be sharing a short bookish memory with you.



We’re getting near the end of this challenge, and I’m running out of bookish memories. I’ve pretty much told you my entire life story, people! So, we’re going to talk about the future today.

One of the best things about books is that they let you experience the world. You can step out of your own life and into someone else’s for a few hours. Books can also teach you about places you’ve never been.

I love to travel. I have a huge list of places that I want to visit. Let's look at some bookish spots that are at the top of my must-see list:




As a kid and teen, I read a lot of nonfiction about Arctic exploration. These books inspired me to take trips to Alaska, British Columbia, and Alberta in my teens. I’d show you photos of my trips, but they were on a computer that crashed, so they don’t exist anymore. You’ll just have to trust me. My travel wish list includes a few other snowy places. I’d love to see Antarctica, Iceland, and Scandinavia.





In my textbook for German History class in high school, I saw photos of King Ludwig II’s Neuschwanstein Castle. This castle was the inspiration for Disney’s Sleeping Beauty Castle. Seeing photos of it in a book made me put Bavaria on my travel list.






Has everyone seen The Lord of the Rings movies? I’ve never been able to get through The Lord of the Rings books, but the movies are beautiful. They were filmed in New Zealand, which is definitely on my must-visit list.







My undergraduate degree is in English literature. This means that I took lots, and lots, and lots of Brit Lit classes. You can’t spend years reading about the UK and Ireland and not want to go there. I especially want to see London, Edinburgh, and Dublin. Those are all very “literary” cities that have inspired hundreds of books. (Many of which I was forced to read in college.)





 Paris, France is on everybody’s travel list, right? It’s on mine. Oscar Wilde’s tomb is there. The world-famous Shakespeare and Company bookstore is there, too.










Speaking of bookstores, I’d love to see some of the biggest English language bookstores in the world. There’s Powell’s in Oregon, The Strand in New York, and Waterstones Piccadilly in London.











If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?







29 comments:

  1. Ah, so many of these places are on my wish list as well! I would love to go to London and Paris, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I did a bucket list of places I'd like to go... I've not been down under or to France (but I've been around it and only a few miles offshore from it). I'll be back in Edinburgh this summer.

    http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2017/04/v-is-for-venus.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many places I want to go to! But at the moment, I would want to go to China even though I've already been. I'm in love the culture and the country so much D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to go to China. I want to see the Great Wall and eat real Chinese food.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  4. If you ever make it to Portland, I'll take you to Powell's for sure!

    Scandinavia, England, and New England were all places I enjoyed visiting because I'd read so much about them. New Zealand and Alaska are on my list for much the same reasons you listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d like to see more of the East Coast. I’ve been to Florida and Washington DC, but that’s it.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. New Zealand is definitely on my list of places to visit. There are also quite a few places I'd like to visit in America based on books I've read as well.

    Oh, and you mentioned visiting bookish places in the UK. You might want to get your hands on a copy of Treasured Island: A Book Lover's Tour of Britain by Frank Barrett. I've not actually read it yet but it's a look at places in the UK which feature in famous literary works. You might be able to narrow down some of the places you'd like to visit with it. ;-)

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to go to Scotland or Ireland, I seen pictures and just love the scenery. Some part of characters are gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotland and Ireland look so green in photos. We don’t have that much grass around here.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. I might pick the Pacific Northwest. The hiking is supposed to be beautiful there.

    V is for Vaxxed, the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Hiking in the Pacific Northwest is something that I need to do in my life.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. I would love to go to Ireland some day. It sounds beautiful. I love ruins of old buildings, and places where it seems like magic could happen. I had an uncle who was stationed in Germany, so I actually got to go to see Neuschwanstein Castle as a kid. It was beautiful.
    Doree Weller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I went to Europe, I’d definitely want to see old castles. I’ve seen modern knockoff castles in the US and Canada, but I’ve never actually seen the real thing. I want to see a really old one.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  9. new zealand and london I might visit one day but I really do not like to travel.

    I'm in New York and the Strand is really like no other book store, sadly, I need to cut down on book buying so I don't go there unless I'm sure I wouldn't buy too many books.

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my V post - the artist versus the blogger ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d have no self-control if someone set me loose in a giant bookstore. I’d buy EVERYTHING.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  10. Great list of book-ish and movie travel locations. A lot of them are on my bucket list. :)

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would go somewhere in the Southern hemisphere, because I want to see the other constellations. (Yes, I am a total geek). I am really grateful, that I traveled when I had my old career and made more money, because I got to see some amazing places (Ireland, London, Paris, Alaska). I went to Germany as a kid, but I stayed with relatives and didn't get to see much. What I did see was lovely though, and I got to see where my father was born. I would love to go back as a tourist though.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to see the stars from Antarctica. That would be interesting.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  12. The most beautiful place I've visited is Cape Town in South Africa. Beautiful, historic, great friendly people...sadly the rising crime rate might put visitors off going there. I've been to a ton of places in the UK, Dallas in the US...but nowhere in mainland Europe. I always wanted to go to New Zealand (but the flights are too long and expensive), Australia (though I have spider terror), Canada because of its natural beauty, The Netherlands to see the bulb fields, Italy for the volcanoes...I think my travelling days are over though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard that South Africa isn’t the safest place. I’d also like to see Australia, but giant spiders go against everything I believe. They shouldn’t exist.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  13. My favorite tradition in Paris is kissing Wilde's tomb <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Books have introduced me to more places than I can count. I think I would need another lifetime to visit them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit that I like traveling less as I get older. My home is my favorite place to be. I do travel and hope to see much more of the world in my life but it is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are SO many placed I'd like to go. I have managed a few places, but ... I want more!!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete