Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Sunday Post #94


The Sunday Post is hosted by The Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to recap the past week, talk about next week, and share news. It’s Monday, What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Date. I get to tell you what I’ve read recently.




Blogging From A To Z


Things around here are a little different this month. I’m participating in the Blogging from A to Z challenge. Every day in April (except Sundays), I’m going to write a short post about how books and book blogging have impacted my life. Brace yourself. Posts are coming.






Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-a-thon


Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-a-Thon starts on April 29! This is my first time participating. I’m going to be posting my updates on Twitter, so follow me there if you want to see them.






On The Blog Last Week







Coming Up On The Blog


I won’t be posting a Sunday Post next Sunday. Here’s what’s coming up in the next two weeks:

  • T is for “Tommyknockers & Terabithia”
  • U is for “Uncertainty”
  • V is for “Vacation”
  • W is for “What Happened to Lani Garver”
  • X is for “Xenophobia (and Books to Combat It)”
  • Y is for “You’ll Rot Your Brain”
  • Z is for “Zzzzz (Books That Kept Me Up Past Bedtime)”
  • Review of American Housewife: Stories by Helen Ellis
  • Covers I Love
  • Review of The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir by Ruth Wariner
  • April Wrap-Up
  • Massive Spring Book Haul (Part 1)





In My Reading Life


Last week, I finished Smoke by Dan Vyleta and Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. Then I read Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War by Steve Sheinkin. Right now, I’m reading A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories by Lucia Berlin and Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters.







In The Rest Of My Life


Five things that made me happy last week:

  1. Easter with my family.
  2. So much chocolate.
  3. My cousin discovered that we’re distantly related to the actress Courteney Cox. I wish I’d inherited her acting talent. Or her looks. Or her ability to make money.
  4. The sunflowers I’m growing in the basement are getting big. I had to put them in new pots.
  5. Stanley Cup playoffs. I was a rabid hockey fan as a child/teen, but I gave it up several years ago to make more time for reading. Lately, I’ve been blogging like a machine, so I’ve been listening to games while I type.





Take care of yourselves and be kind to each other! See you around the blogosphere!











12 comments:

  1. Most Dangerous is a book I have had my eye on - looking forward to your thoughts. We have lots of chocolate which is good but also bad. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we're getting towards the end of your A-Z! I've been really enjoying it. Wish I'd thought up something like that! I've been enjoying the fact that I can eat as much white chocolate as I want to as it has no caffeine...yea! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep on saying I'll take part in the 24 hour readathon but this one is falling on the day of my birthday trip to Oban. I'll probably get some reading done on the way but there will be a lot of shopping happening then as well.

    Also, it's cool that you've got a distant link to Courtney Cox. I'm distantly related to Sir Henry Irving who had a lot going for him, wealth, a knighthood, greatest actor of his time. I have none of these things either!

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it sad that I don't know who's in the playoffs? All I know is my team isn't lol. The Stanley Cup playoffs are the best though. And how cool about Courteney Cox!

    Good luck with Dewey's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I got to make a date that the Dewey's Readathon is this Saturday! I can't wait to try it for the first time also!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like chocolate and Courteney Cox.

    I'll miss you next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not participating in the Readathon because next week is my daughter's bridging ceremony for Girl Scouts. We and dozens of others will be walking across the Golden Gate Bridge.

    It was a busy week of reading, Girl Scouts, the Mandarin Showcase, and boxing up books. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fairytales. I should reread some of the classics too - I prefer their original version (the bloodier ones than the Disney versions). I hope you enjoy yourb ooks this week!


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the readathon, but won't be participating this time around because I'll be at a workshop. I really want to listen to the new audiobook of Grimm's fairy tales -- it's supposed to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a copy or two of Most Dangerous around here but haven't had time to read or listen to it yet. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anything make a person happier than chocolate? Sounds like you had a good week. Good luck with the readathon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate, family, sunflowers, and distant relations all sound amazing :) I would love to do a read a thon but there is no way I could stay up all night anymore and really every weekend is a read a thon at my house. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete