Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Sunday Post #87


The Sunday Post is hosted by The Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to recap the past week, talk about next week, and share news. It’s Monday, What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Date. I get to tell you what I’ve read recently.




On The Blog Last Week







On The Blog This Week


  • On Monday I review Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick.
  • On Wednesday I review I See Reality: Twelve Short Stories about Real Life by Grace Kendall (editor).
  • On Thursday we should discuss something bookish.
  • On Saturday I have a book haul.





In My Reading Life


Last week, I DNFed Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk. The whole book is written in dialect, and reading it was more effort than it was worth. Instead, I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. Right now, I’m rereading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling.





In The Rest Of My Life


Five things that made me happy last week:

  1. Harry Potter. I’m so glad I decided to reread this series. So much nostalgia.
  2. My grad school diploma came. I graduated in November, but the diploma showed up last week. I guess everything’s official now.
  3. Petsitting my friend’s dog. He’s a cute dog, even though he bit me. (In related news, I’ve been bit by 60% of the animals in my life during the past 2 weeks. I don’t feel like this is my fault. I’m just trying to be their friend!)
  4. I’m actually caught up on writing book reviews. It’s a miracle.
  5. The Santa Fe trail mix I like was on sale. <--- That’s a very grown-up thing to be happy about. Grocery store sales. Food is expensive, guys.





Take care of yourselves and be kind to each other! See you around the blogosphere!












31 comments:

  1. Yes to Harry Potter! I'm waiting for book 5. I'm caught up on reviews too and it is a glorious feeling. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Book 5 is one of my least-favorites in the series, but books 6 and 7 are epic.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on receiving your diploma. That tidies things up, I think.

    And enjoy Harry Potter. Good for you for closing a book that wasn't working for you. Wish more people would do this.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/03/dr-seuss-is-on-loose-at-stevenson.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! DNFing is hard for me. I’m always scared that the book will get better, and then I’ll miss something cool.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  3. I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond! And of course Harry Potter. I always say I am going to reread them but I never do - it sounds like I should definitely make it a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! I can't wait to see what you thought of Revolver! That one has been on my TBR for awhile, but I'm not sold on it yet. Enjoy your re-read! I love Harry Potter!

    Here's my Weekly Recap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the grad school diploma! Mine came in the mail after the fact, too (many years ago, of course, lol).

    I like your "Five Things That Made Me Happy" feature. It's good to find the "good." Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The 5 things force me to focus on the positive, even if the positive is very tiny.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  6. However cute the dog was, I wouldn't go near it again if it bit me! I'd like to reread Harry Potter again but I can't justify it right now with so many books on the tbr! Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog is a poodle, so his bite didn’t hurt very much. He just got over-excited while we were playing. I’ve had a lot of animals in my life, so I’m used to being bitten. :)

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. Glad you are rereading Harry Potter! I need to start doing that!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no dogs aren't supposed to bite their sitters! I guess it happens... I babysat my aunt's little Yorkie years ago when they went to Disney and he was a cutie. I missed him afterward (and supposedly he missed me too). Maybe it was just all the treats. :)

    Anyway have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering why you DNFed a Palahniuk. So I'm glad you cleared that up.

    You should be proud of yourself. Hope you framed it and walled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, nope. I traded it for credits at the used bookstore. I have to keep up the never-ending cycle of books that come through my house.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  10. Enjoy Harry Potter! I'm re-reading it as well, but much slower as I'm working through it with my 9 year old. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m trying to reread 1 a month. So far, it has worked out for me.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  11. I have read a couple of Pahluniak books, {Fight Club, and Choke}, and enjoyed them. Was this your first Chuck book?
    Happy Reading!
    ~Icky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I think this was my 6th Palahniuk book. He’s a hit-or-miss author for me. His good books are really good, and his bad books are really bad.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  12. Catching up on book reviews is the best feeling ever :) I'm currently trying to catch up on responding to comments, and it's slow going but at least I'm making progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like I’m behind on comments. It’s a never-ending struggle.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  13. Yay for Harry Potter + catching up on reviews! Have a great week, reading and otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're an official graduate, congrats! That reminds me, I need to pick up my grad diploma as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Go get your diploma. The whole education thing feels more real once you have it.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  15. Woot on the diploma! I have mixed results with Chuck Palahniuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never know what’s going to happen when I pick up a Palahniuk book. I’ll either completely love it or completely hate it.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  16. Getting your diploma is awesome. Did you just want to keep staring at it? I did when I got mine but after a day I put it in a box...where it still sits. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, the diploma is sitting on the floor near my desk, so I see it whenever I look away from the computer. It’s framed, so it’ll go on the wall when I find something to hang it with.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete