Thursday, March 30, 2017

March Wrap-Up


March Overview


1. Soup of every day. I started March with a three-day soup cleanse. According to someone on the Internet, if I ate vegetable soup for every meal for three days, I’d lose weight and feel great. All I felt after three days was sick of vegetable soup. I guess I shouldn’t take dieting advice from Internet advertisements.





2. My organizational skills stun the world. I wrote a post about how I manage my TBR pile and reading life. I kinda expected everyone to roll their eyes and move on to a blog written by a saner person, but I got tons of nice emails and Twitter messages. I’m glad the post was helpful. I’m not used to being helpful. I’m usually more of a hindrance, like a refrigerator that you need to get down a staircase.




3. My wall of immense fanciness. My grad school diploma finally came! I immediately stuck all my diplomas on the wall and took a photo. Please don’t judge my picture-hanging skills. My degrees are in literature, not proper hammer usage.





4. Another year closer to death. It was my birthday in March. I spent the day eating chocolate-chocolate cake and writing strongly worded letters to the government. Trump’s proposed budget came out on my birthday. Mr. Trump was like, “Hey, what’s up, AJ? Happy birthday! I’m eliminating your job and using your salary to build a Mexico wall. Surprise!” Yeah. Not one of my favorite birthday presents.





5. Trump’s wall of immense fanciness. If I’m paying for the Mexico wall, can I hang my diplomas on it?




6. Disregard everything I said about not taking diet advice from Internet ads. My parents got me 10 days of Nutrisystem for my birthday. I’ve wanted to try this diet for years, but I couldn’t because it costs $10 a day + the cost of fruit and vegetables. I’m not the type of person who has “fruit and vegetable” money. I’m more of a one-dollar-mystery-meat-TV-dinner type of girl. Nutrisystem was pretty awesome, though. It’s very easy, and I got to eat chocolate. I give it my stamp of approval.





7. Everything you never wanted to know about me. I’m going to be doing the Blogging from A to Z Challenge in April. Honestly, I’ve been feeling stuck in a rut with this blog lately. I’m hoping the challenge will force me to harness my wayward brain-meats and make them do something new. For 26 days in April, I’ll be writing short personal posts. Don’t worry, they’ll mostly be book-related. Basically, if you like what you’re reading right now, then you’re in luck! I’m going to shove a whole month of my life at you. If you’re cringing right now, then you should probably avoid me until May 1. We’ll see what happens. 





Books I Read


So . . . I was a bad bookworm. I only read 5 books in March. One was a reread. I blame the A to Z Challenge. Almost all of my free time was spent planning and blogging instead of reading.



The Witch of Blackbird Pond – Elizabeth George Speare
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – JK Rowling (reread)
IT – Stephen King
Sex with the Queen: Nine Hundred Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics – Eleanor Herman
Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology – Leah Remini




Best Books Of March




1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – JK Rowling (reread)
2. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology – Leah Remini
3. Sex with the Queen: Nine Hundred Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics – Eleanor Herman




Most-Viewed March Reviews







Most-Viewed March Non-Reviews






All The Things!


I was spoiled on my birthday and got a lot of books. My TBR shelf is almost full now.

All The Things! (AKA number of books on my TBR shelf) = 38 books.

I’m currently reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.





What did you do in March?











18 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great week! I'm cracking up at your picture hanging skills! Those diplomas are definitely something to be proud of though! Congratulations! And that soup diet sounds dreadful... I REALLY need to read that Leah Remini book too.

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS ON YOUR WALL OF AWESOME. The soup diet sounds just as sad as those lemon-water diets. I completely understand if you never want to eye a veggie soup again in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a birthday and lots of books for it!! Woohoo on a wall of fanciness. Very impressive. I like soup but that is a LOT of soup. So happy you liked Troublemaker. Have a great April!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of doing an end of month review like this. Belated Happy Birthday, even if Trump's gift is kind of sucky.

    My March has mostly been spent waiting for stuff to happen. But I did get a new Kindle which I've been having fun with getting it all organised. :-)

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of hanging your diplomas on Trump's wall! I'm also right there with you on the subject of counting chocolate as a salad. I think your reasoning is sound...I then looked at the 38 books on your tbr shelf and wanted to cry when I think of how many are on mine! *blubbers* I need a good reading month to get my tbr down for sure! I really enjoy these monthly updates you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Birthday! And I like the jaunty angles of your diplomas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL about soup! I HATE it when something is exploding in the microwave and it's... still cold. what the ??? And happy birthday!! I love that budget video.

    I've thought about doing the A-Z but man- that's a lot of work! :)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your March has me laughing out loud! I love your sense of humor. I would suggest that you stay away from $1 mystery meats....you don't want to know what the mystery is. Really you don't. I think that Mr. Trump should let you hang all of your dipolmas on the wall...especially since you are paying for it! I hope you have a wonderful April!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your masters degree. It's always a thrill to see the degrees get larger. (BTW, I have no idea where my masters is, so I am very impressed with your wall display).
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday. I hope Mr. Trump didn't ruin it too much...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy (belated) birthday! One of my coworkers just started Nutrisystem (today is day 7) and will admit I'm not ruling it out at this point. Wouldn't it be great if there was a quick fix? *sigh* I love your wall of fancies! Perhaps I can talk the man into doing that for me...whenever I find them. :/ Finishing five books is still impressive! I finished four and started two more (ebook and audiobook). Hoping for April showers...not to bring May flowers, but for more reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thoroughly enjoyed your post, wonderful read in itself! Thank you. I haven't read any of your books but I would be fascinated by the how I survived scientology book so am going to put it on my wish list. All the best with the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great month you had! I need to reread the Harry Potter books soon!

    Here’s my March Monthly Wrap Up!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like March treated you well. Happy belated birthday, by the way!

    Your wall of awesomeness looks great - all wonky and all. Haha!

    Happy reading in April!

    ReplyDelete
  15. John Green, putting it all into (bleak) perspective.

    I'm excited for your A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG. The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Must re-read. Remember nothing about it but that I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm crazily late to this post, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I love your comment about the soup diet---too bad it didn't work. I think that's a diet I could actually manage!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday! I love the card about chocolate (which is my downfall!). Your sense of humor is wonderful and just the kind I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete