Thursday, February 22, 2018

Behind The Screen Tag


This tag was created by Amber @ Du Livre. Amber is awesome, and you should follow her blog. The "Behind the Screen Tag" is about everybody's favorite subject . . . me!




Behind The Screen Tag







When did you start blogging, and what was your first review?



I started Read All The Things! in August 2013, but I’ve been blogging since 2005. I think I wrote my first book review in 2011? It was a short, scathing review of the Twilight series, and I don’t believe it exists on the internet anymore. That’s probably a good thing.








Who/What inspired you to start blogging?



Curiosity? When I was in middle school, I remember begging my dad to let me have a website. All the cool kids had websites. He said no. I blame him for the fact that I never became a cool kid. When I got old enough to use the internet unsupervised, I started experimenting with blogging and posting my (cringe-worthy) fiction and poetry online. I sincerely hope all of my self-indulgent teenage whining has been wiped from the face of the internet. My dad was right: I never should have been trusted with a website.








What is a blog-related goal that you have?



I’d love to have a professional artist redesign all the graphics on this blog. There are so many beautiful blogs in the world. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of them.






What is one thing that you wish someone told you about blogging?



You have to comment and interact with the community. If you want people to read your blog, you have to let them know that it exists. Get comfortable with shameless self-promotion. You can’t just lurk in the shadows and hope that people will magically discover you. That won’t happen.


Me, when I started blogging.






What is your biggest blog-related accomplishment?



Keeping this blog running for four years. At this point, I can’t imagine my life without it. My blog is like a small, infuriating child that keeps me up late and wakes me up early. I have no time for sleep. Night is for reading and writing blog posts.








What types of posts do you enjoy writing?



Wrap-ups. I like compiling all the stuff that happened in a month and putting it in one place. Yearly wrap-ups are interesting, too. I love writing stats posts. They make me feel like I’ve accomplished something.






Where do you usually blog? What does your setup look like?



I blog at my desk. My setup looks like a 7-year-old laptop and a lot of muttered swearwords.


My desk, my books, not my poodle.






What was your last 5-star read?





The Butcher's Hook by Janet Ellis. It's about a female serial killer in 1700s London. Very graphic and gory. I need to find more historical horror books.






What was your last 1-star read?





Perfect Little World by Kevin Wilson. This novel about a nontraditional family had the potential to be quirky and wonderful. Instead, it was underdeveloped and slow.






What are three words that make you pick up a book?



Cult, remote, atmospheric.








What is your Hogwarts house?










What is your favorite reading environment?



My bed. Everywhere else is too distracting. My bedroom is mostly empty, and I can lock the door.








What advice would you give to new bloggers?



The only difference between your blog and a million other blogs is you. Find your voice, write about your passions, and do whatever works for you. Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing.






Do you want to do this tag? Consider yourself tagged.









40 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your answers AJ! I remember when the internet was the Wild West with random websites and hideous web designs. I had at least two geocities pages and an angelfire page. Had no idea what I was doing.

    1700s serial killer? That does sound interesting! And your setup is a lot more profesh than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in middle school, all the girls had these awful websites that were full of photos and weird fonts and a billon different neon colors. I was so envious. I wanted an awful website.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. Fun post! I totally agree with your advice for new bloggers. There are so many blogs out there, and the best way to stand out is to be yourself. It's too easy to get bogged down with what you *think* you should be blogging about, to get more followers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It’s easy to get obsessed with numbers, but if you only care about getting followers, then blogging won’t be fun for very long.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  3. Love this tag so much!!! I would love to have someone redesign my site and the graphics. Love your advice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A professional blog redesign would be awesome. I shouldn’t be trusted to make my own graphics!

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  4. Good stuff.

    I can't help with the art. But maybe I'll stumble upon a book I can rec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no art or design skills at all. I think I’m way beyond what any book can help. I just need to save money and hire someone.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. I love this tag! I'm definitely stealing this. I feel the same about the age of my blog. I can't believe I've made it so long, but I can't imagine stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God, I love that Twilight gif with a fiery passion.

    So whose poodle is it? The bookshelves look great.

    I agree that a professional blog design would be awesome. Not gonna happen for me though. And I've actually always been a fan of you blog for its minimalist yet distinctive look.

    I can't believe I somehow erased/missed the "where do you read" question when I did the tag. I seem to be in the minority in that I hate reading in bed. The light is always terrible, and I can't figure out how to get comfortable. I much prefer a recliner or couch, where I can be sacked out, yet have my head and shoulders comfortably supported.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s my friend’s poodle. He kept wandering in front of my camera, so I gave up and let him be in the picture.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. I had so much fun reading your answers to these, I love this post! I'm totally with you on wanting to have a professional redesign everything--I'd love to give my blog a makeover. Also, I wish someone had also told me that about blogging! I was also so self-conscious about posting comments and interacting with people, but once I realized it was a necessity I started doing it a lot, and hey, now I love it! Interacting with everyone is one of the best parts of book blogging. The Butcher's Hook sounds amazing! Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interacting with the community is my favorite part of blogging, too. I was terrified to do it when I first started blogging. I thought everybody would hate me.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. I'd love to have someone redesign my blog as it currently has no design! I stick with minimal because I can't figure anything else out without messing up the blogger template. That said, I think your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That’s the same reason why my blog is minimal. If I try to change one thing, blogger causes the apocalypse and ruins everything.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  9. That's your desk? Wow, I would be ashamed to show you my desks. Interesting insights--what happened to those older blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted the old blogs. They were embarrassing, so I’m glad they’re gone.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  10. Everything about your inspiration to start blogging part made me laugh so hard! I love it! I mean, don't we all just like hearing ourselves "talk" on the internet? I wonder if there are any lingering remnants of my (sadly not middle school) past internet drama... I love your advice for bloggers, too! And yessss cults! That is such a good one. And that Twilight picture is my new favorite because um YES, he really is creepy, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Edward is such a creepy dude. I’ve never understood why so many people love him. Also, I really hope all my teenage internet angst is gone. Nobody needs to dig that up!

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  11. I love this tag because I get to know more about you:) I didn't know you were blogging since 2005! WOW! You are one veteran blogger and hey I love your art here on your blog, But I hear you! I'm never 100% content with how my blog looks either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I see all the little imperfections and annoyances on my blog because I have to stare at it for hours. Most other people probably don’t see them.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  12. I'm glad I didn't discovered the net when I was a teenager, I would have been like you only with more whining.

    good advice for new bloggers, if I have read this when I started blogging, it would have really helped.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, teenagers do embarrassing things on the internet. I’m grateful for “delete” buttons.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  13. The community was something that was super surprising to me when I started my book blog. A lot of people (myself included) start blogging with this idea that people will just magically flock to your blog...which, unsurprisingly, is not really true. But luckily I enjoy interacting with the community and even engaging in some shameless self-promo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I thought, “If you build it, they will come.” Unfortunately, with blogging, that’s not true at all.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  14. Your have some great tips for new Bloggers. My blog design cost less then I thought it would ($60)but I plan to have it in this format for as long as possible. Interacting in the community is so important. I may do this tag, the questions, were great!
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m looking forward to your answers! $60 for a blog design isn’t bad. I need to find something unique and not ridiculously expensive.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  15. Oh man, your desk is so clean. I'm so impressed!! Also, i added at least 2 of those to my TBR pile so thanks for the recs. Also RIGHT?! ABOUT EDWARD CULLEN?! What a wanker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the photo with your dog being creepy in the background. I almost missed them if it weren't for their glowing eyes off to the side. Ha! BTW, I still sort of lurk in the shadows like a creeper. I'm horrible about promoting or reaching out to people about my blog. A lot of people in my life don't even know about it and I've been blogging for a little over 7 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Little G (the dog) is always creeping around. He blends in with the furniture.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  17. So many things. First, you have been blogging since middle school! This internet was not really a thing until I was in college. We had BBSs, but I only played this primitive version of Risk that way. Yes! I want someone to make me beautiful graphics. My co-blogger teased me with these awesome sketches, but then - nothing. I love doing my wrap up post and I love reading other people's. The end of the year was like a bonanza for me. So many year end posts to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading other people’s wrap-ups, too. The end-of-year wrap-ups make my TBR list explode. I learn about so many interesting books.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  18. Ooh I may do this one! It was super interesting to read! Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, I enjiyed it a lot! I like you blog this way too, but who does not wish a makeover?))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’ve had the same blog design for years, so I really want something different. That probably won’t happen, though.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  20. My blog feels like a child as well at times-demanding, impossible to get a break from without fretting about what is happening, never enough time or energy to meet its needs...

    ReplyDelete