Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is top ten bookish resolutions for 2016. I love resolutions, so I did ten reading resolutions and ten blogging resolutions.
My Reading Resolutions
1. Read more translations. I’ve discovered that I mostly read books from authors who live in English-speaking countries. This makes sense because English is the only language that I can read fluently, but I’m missing out on most of the world’s literature. I want to find more translations to read.
2. Read 100+ books. This is my resolution every year. I’ve gotten close to reading 100 books in a year, but I’ve never actually managed to do it.
3. Read older books. I want to find older books to read rather than always being caught up in the hype of new releases.
4. Discover more books on my own. Instead of only relying on blogs and BookTube for book recommendations, I want to wander bookstores and pick out whatever looks interesting to me.
5. Read more poetry, plays, graphic novels, nonfiction, short story collections, and books from small publishers. I mostly read novels from big publishers last year, so I want to mix it up this year.
6. Read more classics. I only read 3 classics last year. Usually I read a lot more than that. I especially want to read some classic horror stories.
7. Find “bizarre” books. I like books about strange (sometimes macabre) subjects. I want to find more stories that have that weird, unsettling vibe to them.
8. Read more prize-winning books. I love doing my Printz Award reviews. I want to keep reading books that have won awards.
9. Zero by ’17. I want to have 0 unread books on my TBR shelf by the end of 2016. This probably won’t happen because I haven’t had 0 books on my TBR shelf since 2010.
10. Read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and the Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman. I’m not a big fan of series. I much prefer standalones. However, I really want to read these two series. I had planned on reading them last year, but I never got around to it. I have all the books sitting on my TBR shelf, so I can just marathon them when I work up the motivation.
My Blogging Resolutions
1. Keep going. (Just keep swimming . . .) Life is going to get busy, and stressful, and sometimes I won’t feel like blogging. No matter what, I don’t want to quit blogging.
2. Learn to use Twitter. I just don’t get Twitter. I have Twitter, but I don’t know what to do with it.
3. Promote the blog (and don’t feel bad about promoting the blog). This might just be me, but sometimes I feel like bloggers look down on other bloggers for promoting their own blogs. I’ve seen people say, “You don’t care about your content; you’re just promoting yourself to get followers.” I work hard on this blog, and I don’t want to feel self-conscious for telling people about it.
4. Comment. I read a lot of blogs, but I don’t always comment on them. Everyone loves comments, so I want to comment more.
5. Review more under-hyped books. Under-hyped books need love, too.
6. Write more discussion posts. I want to post at least one bookish discussion per month. They take me a long time to write, but I think they’re worth the effort. I’ve learned a lot from reading discussions on other blogs and writing my own.
7. Support new bloggers. Starting a blog is a lonely experience. It’s like shouting into a void. You’re not sure if anyone is paying attention. I want to read and follow blogs that are just getting started.
8. Maybe more personal posts. Personal posts are another thing that makes me self-conscious. I like reading personal posts on other people’s blogs, so I might do more of my own.
9. Be positive and spread the bookish love. I want this blog to be an upbeat place, and I want to write more posts about the books and blogs that I love. If I find an awesome book or an awesome book blog, I want everybody to know about it.
10. Take pictures. Some people take amazing photos of books. I want to learn how to do that.
Do you have any suggestions that would help me with my resolutions? Let me know in the comments.