Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is top ten fictional book nerds. This was a difficult topic because there are a lot of fictional characters who read books, but I wouldn’t call them “Book nerds.” I tried to pick characters who are really, really obsessed with books. I could only come up with 7, so let me know who I forgot.
Ultimate Fictional Book Nerds
7. Ignatius J. Reilly (A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole): Ignatius is the world’s most pompous writer. He’s the source of my favorite bookish quote: “I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.”
6. Guy Montag (Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury): Guy’s job is to burn books, which are forbidden in his dystopian society. He starts hiding books in his house to save them, but then things get ugly.
5. Liesel Meminger (The Book Thief – Markus Zusak): Books are hard to find in Nazi Germany, so Liesel starts stealing them from the neighbors.
4. Hazel Grace Lancaster (The Fault In Our Stars – John Green): Before Hazel dies from cancer, she wants to meet her favorite author and find out what happened to her favorite fictional character.
3. Cath Avery (Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell): Cath’s whole life revolves around her fanfiction stories and a pair of fictional lovers.
2. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter series – J.K. Rowling): Harry and Ron would not have survived without Hermione’s bookish knowledge.
1. Annie Wilkes (Misery – Stephen King): She kidnaps her favorite author. You have to really love books to go that far.