Saturday, August 4, 2018

Book Haul: Recommendations (Part 3)




Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently. Way back at the beginning of the year, I asked for book recommendations. Here are some of the books that you recommended I read. Sorry, I didn’t write down who recommended which book because I’m a lazy, terrible person, but thank you for the recommendations!




Your Recommendations






The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight #1) by Katherine Arden



At the edge of the Russian wilderness, winter lasts most of the year and the snowdrifts grow taller than houses. But Vasilisa doesn't mind—she spends the winter nights huddled around the embers of a fire with her beloved siblings, listening to her nurse's fairy tales. Above all, she loves the chilling story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon, who appears in the frigid night to claim unwary souls. Wise Russians fear him, her nurse says, and honor the spirits of house and yard and forest that protect their homes from evil.

After Vasilisa's mother dies, her father goes to Moscow and brings home a new wife. Fiercely devout, city-bred, Vasilisa's new stepmother forbids her family from honoring the household spirits. The family acquiesces, but Vasilisa is frightened, sensing that more hinges upon their rituals than anyone knows.

And indeed, crops begin to fail, evil creatures of the forest creep nearer, and misfortune stalks the village. All the while, Vasilisa's stepmother grows ever harsher in her determination to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for either marriage or confinement in a convent.

As danger circles, Vasilisa must defy even the people she loves and call on dangerous gifts she has long concealed—this, in order to protect her family from a threat that seems to have stepped from her nurse's most frightening tales.












Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia


In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, and friendless. Online, she’s LadyConstellation, the anonymous creator of the wildly popular webcomic Monstrous Sea. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves the online one, and she has no desire to try.

Then Wallace Warland, Monstrous Sea’s biggest fanfiction writer, transfers to her school. Wallace thinks Eliza is just another fan, and as he draws her out of her shell, she begins to wonder if a life offline might be worthwhile.

But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart.















Blindness (Blindness #1) by José Saramago


A city is hit by an epidemic of "white blindness" that spares no one. Authorities confine the blind to an empty mental hospital, but there the criminal element holds everyone captive, stealing food rations and assaulting women. There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides her charges—among them a boy with no mother, a girl with dark glasses, a dog of tears—through the barren streets, and their procession becomes as uncanny as the surroundings are harrowing.



















A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson


The Appalachian Trail stretches from Georgia to Maine and covers some of the most breathtaking terrain in America–majestic mountains, silent forests, sparking lakes. If you’re going to take a hike, it’s probably the place to go. And Bill Bryson is surely the most entertaining guide you’ll find. He introduces us to the history and ecology of the trail and to some of the other hardy (or just foolhardy) folks he meets along the way–and a couple of bears.



















The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings #1) by Mackenzi Lee


Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.









Have you read any of these? What did you think?









59 comments:

  1. I've heard only good things about Gentleman's Guide, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to reading it. I don't know if it's really my thing? Although, I said that about My Lady Jane and ended up loving that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already read Gentleman’s Guide because I couldn’t wait. I loved it and want the sequel now.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. The bear on the cover reminds me so much of Paddington!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the bear on the cover is a lot less friendly than Paddington . . .

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  3. The Bear and the Nightingale looks absolutely amazing!!! Adding this to my TBR :D
    hope you enjoy them :)!
    Kariny @Kariny's Book Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been super excited for Eliza and Her Monsters! I put it on a reading list that I need to start in the next couple months...which I think I lost...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I’m excited for it, too. I need to get through some older books first, though.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these, but my mom has told me about A Walk in the Woods (she loves Bill Bryson), and Eliza and Her Monsters looks like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents saw the movie version of A Walk in the Woods, but I wanted to read the book first.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  6. Blindness looks bleak and interesting. Enjoy your latest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed The Bear and the Nightingale and I thought that the second book in the series was even better. I cannot wait to get my hands on the third book in that series. I did read A Walk in the Woods and didn't care for it too much. I am in the minority with that opinion so I am sure that you will have better luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad that the series gets better. That’s rare. Usually the first book is the best.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. I have The Bear and the Nighingale and Eliza on my shelves. I need to get to them! Enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Eliza. There is a going to be a point, where you will be angry with one of the characters, but I was able to forgive the momentary bad behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I’m more eager to read it. I want to know what you’re talking about.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  10. I looooove The Bear and the Nightingale (the sequel, The Girl in the Tower, is one of the few middle books in a trilogy that didn't let me down, I can't wait for the last one). And Blindness is very good, but very bleak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you liked it! I’ve heard good things about that series.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  11. The Bear and the Nightingale was so good. She's a great writer and look forward to reading the next one soon! I haven't read that one of Bill Bryson's but I've read two or three others and he's a great science and travel writer. Good luck with your recommendations and I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also got Eliza and her Monsters and I can't wait to read it soon! Hope you enjoy all your reads!

    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eliza and her Monsters and A Walk in the Woods both look good to me. I won that one in a giveaway a while back and haven't read it yet- I really should soon.

    Hope these are all great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so bad at reading books I won. I think I still have a giveaway book from January sitting around here somewhere.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  14. Eliza and Her Monsters was really good! I do want to read Gentleman's Guide ASAP, and The Bear and the Nightingale too! Never heard of Blindness, but it actually sounds quite good, I'll be excited to hear your thoughts! Hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already read Gentleman’s Guide, and I loved it. It’ll be one of my favorites of the year.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  15. I really want to read Eliza and Her Monsters! Do you think it would be appropriate to read aloud to a child, or it's more YA than MG? It's one my list, so hopefully I'll get to it soon! <3

    -- Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of these, but A Walk in the Woods is now a movie with Robert Redford, and it is in my Amazon Prime queue. I will probably watch the movie instead of reading the book. I am sometimes lazy like that. LOL. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bill Bryson's book was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Bear and the Nightingale has had some rave reviews from folks I respect, so I hope you enjoy that one, AJ. Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got the audiobook of Blindness. It's absolutely brilliant! Dark and scary and violent, but totally gripping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Walk in the Woods looks like such a great read! I heard great things about a lot of the books shared by you but haven't read any myself. Anyway, I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The blogosphere seems to like all these. I have high expectations.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  21. I keep eyeing up Eliza and Her Monsters, but I've heard such mixed things about. And it sounds very... dramatic in parts, so I'm going to wait and see if my library gets a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard a few mixed things, too. That’s why I traded for it instead of buying it new.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  22. Blindness is one of those books that left a definite impression on me. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your books, especially Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia which I need to add to my TBR immediately! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read any of these yet, but The Bear And The Nightingale, Eliza And Her Monsters and The Gentleman's Guide To Vice And Virtue are on my TBR as well. I hope you will enjoy them! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want to read more about how people enjoyed Blindness before I pick it up, it sounds like a great concept but with poor execution.

    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a very strange book. If the author isn’t skilled, it could go extremely wrong. I guess I’ll find out.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  26. Eliza and Her Monsters looks absolutely ADORABLE! And both my sisters LOVE Gentleman's Guide! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great haul!! I've seen so many good reviews of The Bear and the Nightingale and I'm hoping to read it soon too! Also, The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue and Eliza and Her Monsters are two fantastic books that I love so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Gentleman’s Guide. I hope I like Eliza as much as you did.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  28. The Bear and the Nightingale and Eliza and her Monsters are AMAZING! Both five star reads for me! :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have read and loved Eliza and Her Monsters and The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue! I hope you'll enjoy them too! I own The Bear and the Nightingale but haven't read it yet, hoping to so this year though! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Gentleman’s Guide already and adored it. It’s one of my favorites this year so far.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  30. I read and loved both The Bear and the Nightingale and The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue recently and really liked it! I also really want to read Eliza and Her Monsters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've heard good things about The Bear and the Nightingale, hope you enjoy it!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete