Saturday, August 18, 2018

Book Haul: From A Nice Lady




Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently. I met a nice lady who was trying to get rid of her kids’ old homeschool curriculums. Since I like kids’ books, she gave me 5 children’s classics. Thanks, nice lady!



Books From A Nice Lady









Caddie Woodlawn (Caddie Woodlawn #1) by Carol Ryrie Brink


Caddie Woodlawn is a real adventurer. She'd rather hunt than sew and plow than bake, and tries to beat her brother's dares every chance she gets. Caddie is friends with Indians, who scare most of the neighbors—neighbors who, like her mother and sisters, don't understand her at all.

Caddie is brave, and her story is special because it's based on the life and memories of Carol Ryrie Brink's grandmother, the real Caddie Woodlawn. Her spirit and sense of fun have made this book a classic that readers have taken to their hearts for more than seventy years.











The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner #1) by Deborah Ellis


Since the Taliban took over Afghanistan, 11-year-old Parvana has rarely been outdoors. Barred from attending school, shopping at the market, or even playing in the streets of Kabul, the heroine of Deborah Ellis's engrossing children's novel The Breadwinner is trapped inside her family's one-room home. That is, until the Taliban hauls away her father and Parvana realizes that it's up to her to become the "breadwinner" and disguise herself as a boy to support her mother, two sisters, and baby brother. Set in the early years of the Taliban regime, this topical novel for middle readers explores the harsh realities of life for girls and women in modern-day Afghanistan. 

















The Watsons Go To Birmingham—1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis


Enter the hilarious world of ten-year-old Kenny and his family, the Weird Watsons of Flint, Michigan. There's Momma, Dad, little sister Joetta, and brother Byron, who's thirteen and an "official juvenile delinquent." When Momma and Dad decide it's time for a visit to Grandma, Dad comes home with the amazing Ultra-Glide, and the Watsons set out on a trip like no other. They're heading South to Birmingham, Alabama, toward one of the darkest moments in America's history.

















The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett


When orphaned Mary Lennox comes to live at her uncle's great house on the Yorkshire Moors, she finds it full of secrets. The mansion has nearly one hundred rooms, and her uncle keeps himself locked up. And at night, she hears the sound of crying down one of the long corridors.

The gardens surrounding the large property are Mary's only escape. Then, Mary discovers a secret garden, surrounded by walls and locked with a missing key. One day, with the help of two unexpected companions, she discovers a way in. Is everything in the garden dead, or can Mary bring it back to life?















The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


Moral allegory and spiritual autobiography, The Little Prince is the most translated book in the French language. With a timeless charm it tells the story of a little boy who leaves the safety of his own tiny planet to travel the universe, learning the vagaries of adult behavior through a series of extraordinary encounters. His personal odyssey culminates in a voyage to Earth and further adventures.















Have you read any of these? What did you think?












39 comments:

  1. I can never remember if I read The Secret Garden. I know I read Tom's Midnight Garden but my memories of some things I read back then is a bit cloudy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly can’t remember if I’ve read it, either. I have vague memories of a teacher reading it to my class, but I don’t remember anything that happened in it.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. Aw that is a nice lady! I think I read The Secret Garden when I was young but can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read The Secret Garden, and The Little Prince. I bought The Little Prince for my son when he was around six and he didn't care for it. I had never read it and loved it as an adult. I should make him read it now. Ha ha. I remember loving The Secret Garden as a preteen and reading it two or three times. I want to read it now to see if it holds up for me as an adult. đź“š

    The other three books sound wonderful. Will you be reviewing them here on your blog? That lady sure was nice. 🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I’ll be reviewing them. It won’t happen anytime soon, though. I have a lot of books that are higher priority than these.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  4. Wow! this looks like a great haul. I had a copy of The Little Prince I was trying to give away for many years, but I was picky, since it's such a nice copy and a good book, I really wanted it to go to a good family. Glad this copy found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s cool that you wanted a good home for the book. I donate a lot of mine to schools. I assume they get pretty beat up there.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. I've read Caddie Woodlawn and The Secret Garden. I remember not being very impressed with Caddie (found it boring), but I did enjoy The Secret Garden.
    I hope you enjoy reading these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the older Newbery winners are tedious. I’m always nervous when I start them.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  6. That's such a nice lady! I love Secret Garden and The Little Prince. I'd love to read Carrie Woodlawn. It's in the vein of books that I loved as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a book I would have loved as a preteen. We’ll see what adult-me thinks.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. You got some great books! The Secret Garden is one of my daughter's favorite books. I haven't read Caddie Woodlawn, but it sounds like a really good book. I like children's books, too, and love to find them at book sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m always excited when I come across cheap children’s books. I want to read them all.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. I think I read Caddie Woodlawn in the 70s. What a blast from the past. It was really sweet of the nice lady to give you all those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really happy to get them. I’ve wanted to read all of these for a long time.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  9. I love nice people that give me books :) I haven't read any of these but feel like I should pick up The Secret Garden at some point just to say I did. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Secret Garden seems like one of those classics that everybody should read. It has infiltrated pop culture.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  10. The Little Prince and Kim! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I thought the cover looked like Kipling's Kim, another great classic.

      Delete
    2. I’ve heard of Kim, but I don’t know anything about it. I’ll have to look it up.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  11. I didn't read The Secret Garden until adulthood...after I started blogging. I really enjoyed it! And I love the cover on your copy.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I like it! A lot of adults seem to. (Which is a good sign. Some kids’ books are too mind-numbing for me.)

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  12. I always thought The Secret Garden had a cool premise for a kids' classic but I've never it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a cool premise. I hope it lives up to the hype.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  13. Free books are great, especially when they come from a nice lady. I want to read The Secret Garden, it has been on my list for a really, really long time. Have a wonderful evening AJ.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only one I've read is The Secret Garden, it was a really sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice ladies like that are probably the best. I've not read any of these, but I know I really want/need to read The Secret Garden and The Little Prince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I need to read those, too. It’s hard to call yourself a children’s book nerd when you haven’t read the classics.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  16. I loved The Secret Garden!! A classic for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooray for nice ladies who gift books! I don’t know how I made it through childhood with reading The Seret Garden or The Little Prince but somehow it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow made it through my childhood without reading them, too. It’s time to fix that.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  18. Yay for the nice lady! I've read both The Secret Garden and The Little Prince and I really loved both of them. Curious to see what you think of all of your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you liked them! I’ll get around to reviewing them eventually.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  19. oh wow that lady is nice indeed! Free books! yes I want them all ;-) Happy to see the secret garden here. I got the audio book for like 1.99 on sale and really want to get to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. See I want to know where everyone went to school because none of these or other books that seem to be the basic school reading were never on our schedule. I would have loved to have the Secret Garden as a school book! But still score for getting some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read The Secret Garden when I was really young and loved it so much. I don't know if I still will, so I probably should reread it at some point. I have read and absolutely loved The Little Prince so much!! Enjoy all of these x

    ReplyDelete