Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is all about romance tropes. The problem is that I don’t read books where romance is the focus. I decided to rebel against the prompt and do my own thing.
Let’s pretend that I’m the type of person who gets crushes on book characters. Here are some qualities that my book boyfriend must possess.
Necessary Qualities of a Book Boyfriend/Girlfriend
1. Loyal: No love triangles, please. I won’t put up with that nonsense. My book boyfriend will be mature enough to make up his mind about who he wants to date.
2. Honest: None of that “I can’t tell you what’s going on. It’ll put you in danger.” I’ve read enough books to know that not telling people about dangerous stuff puts them in more danger.
3. Kind: No jerky, sulking, borderline abusive bad boys. Those are never fun, no matter what books say.
4. A sense of humor: You’ll need one of these to put up with the idiotic situations I sometimes find myself in. Humor is basically a survival skill.
5. Calm: I’m neurotic. If I’m around other neurotic people, I get more neurotic. Then life becomes a death-spiral of craziness that ends with somebody crying and eating nachos by the handful. It’s not a pretty sight, book boyfriend. Be calm.
6. Not impulsive: Books have taught me that thinking before acting can prevent a lot of future problems.
7. Adventurous: I want to see the world. No couch potatoes. Also, it would be nice if book boyfriend knew how to travel back in time. Or to alternate universes. Basically, I want to be the ultimate tourist.
8. Obscenely rich: This is my fantasy, right? In my fantasy, I’m a wealthy philanthropist. I wander around wearing a sparkly gown and throwing money at strangers. (That’s what philanthropists do, right? I’ve never actually met one.)
9. Book lover: If we both like to read, we’ll have more to talk about. Fewer awkward silences is a win for everybody! Also, if book boyfriend lives inside a book, shouldn't he care about books? Isn't that like caring about the environment?
10. Possesses magical powers: Wouldn’t it be awesome if your significant other could cook dinner or clean the house by waving a wand? Yeah, I want that.
What qualities would your ideal book boyfriend/girlfriend have?