Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Rapid-Fire Book Tag


I’ve seen this giant tag around the blogosphere and thought I’d give it a try.




The Rapid-Fire Book Tag




1. E-books or physical books?


Physical books. I spend all day staring at screens. I’d rather not do it in my leisure time, too.




2. Paperback or hardback?


Hardback. Paperbacks fall apart too easily.




3. Online or in-store book shopping?


I prefer in-store shopping, but I usually can’t afford it. The Internet has cheaper books.





4. Trilogies or series?


Neither? Trilogies because they’re less overwhelming if you come in late, and it’s easier to keep up with new releases.





5. Heroes or villains?


Villains. Bad guys have more fun.





6. A book you want everyone to read?


This is hard because I don’t know “everyone’s” tastes. Maybe The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood?





7. Recommend an underrated book?


Cold City by Cathy McSporran. Bizarre, remote, Scottish, LGBT+, cultish, literary dystopian fiction.





8. The last book you finished?


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. I liked it.





9. The last book you bought?


I haven’t bought books since November, so I don’t remember. The last one I traded for was The Poet’s Handbook by Judson Jerome. Fascinating, I know.





10. Weirdest thing you’ve used as a bookmark?


My Kindle.




11. Used books? Yes or no?


Yes! Almost all the books I acquire are used.




12. Top three favorite genres?


Only three? I have so many favorites! Literary/contemporary, historical, dystopia.





13. Borrow or buy?


Buy. If I like a book, I want to keep it forever. I want my corpse to be buried with it. If I don’t like it, I can almost always trade it.




14. Characters or plot?


Characters. I can get past a boring plot if the characters are interesting. If the characters suck, I’ll probably hate the book.





15. Long or short books?


Short. Long books are usually unnecessarily long. *Glares furiously at the ghost of Charles Dickens.*





16. Long or short chapters?


Short, I guess? I really don’t care. I stop reading in the middle of chapters all the time.




17. Name the first three books you think of?


A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab, History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera, and The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. (New releases that I need in my life.)





18. Books that make you laugh or cry?


Laugh, but it’s hard to impress me. I’ve never had much luck with humor books. Most of them aren’t funny.




19. Our world or fictional worlds?


Our world. Most of the fictional worlds I read about are dystopias.





20. Audiobooks? Yes or no?


No. Just like with TV and movies, I have a hard time staying focused on them.




21. Do you ever judge a book by its cover?


Constantly. A nice cover will make me read the synopsis. I tend to scroll past ugly books on Goodreads.




22. Book-to-movie or book-to-TV adaptations?


Book-to-TV. I like the anticipation of looking forward to a TV show each week. TV series are longer than movies, so more stuff from the book can be crammed into them.





23. A movie or TV show you preferred to its book?


All The Hunger Games movies. *Ducks flying garbage.* The movies proved my theory that the books would have been better in third person. We needed to see more of the world.





24. Series or standalones?


Standalones. Series add too many books to my TBR list. Also, it’s rare that I’ll love every book in a series. I don’t have enough patience for saggy middle books.





If you want to do this tag, consider yourself tagged.






12 comments:

  1. Fun tag! I agree with a lot of these - characters over plot, book to TV, stand alones. I love that you have used your kindle as a bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for book tags! I love your answers! I laughed at using your kindle as a bookmark - I've totally been there XD

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun tag. The local bookstore had a 30% off sale last Sunday, and I totally used a cart, so I loved that ecard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much yes here. Physical books, hardbacks, in-store (although I buy a lot of bookm online now- what have I become??), and I love used books. As long as they're not in too rough a shape. used book stores are my jam. And I like short punchy chapters.

    LOL about Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this tag as well! I'm completely with you on audiobooks. I tried one again for the first time in ages (to see if my tastes had changed) and I just couldn't concentrate...I keep drifting off and eventually I just read it the good old fashioned way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fun to read. Everyone is so different. I love my kindle and audiobooks are great. I constantly am judging books by their covers - it can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Physical.
    2. Paperback.
    3. Online now.
    4. Series? As in series of books that are stand-alones but feature the same character.
    5. Flawed heroes.
    6. Meh. My reading choices aren't for everyone.
    An Equal Music - Vikram Seth.
    7. Mongo: Adventures in Trash - Ted Botha
    8. Ozone Journal - Peter Balakian
    9. I bought a bag-full at a used bookstore's going-out-of-business sale. Picking one: The Bridge - Gay Talese.
    10. A pen. Meh.
    11. Yes. But not so much in the future, unfortunately. (see 9)
    12. Poetry, mystery, crime.
    13. Borrow from the library usually. Sometimes buy.
    14. Both?
    15. Short or shortish.
    16. Short.
    17. On the Road - Jack Kerouac, City of Night - John Rechy, The Year of Silence - Madison S. Bell.
    18. Neither? I read mostly books by and / or for men. But I'm too cynical to read a lot of humor. I suppose I'm more likely to get the feels than the giggles.
    19. Ours.
    20. No. I've bought 5 audio books and only 3 had all the chapters. Even the replacement for one of them was missing several chapters. I can't fathom how this happens.
    21. Yes. Of course.
    22. I don't even know of any book-to-TV adaptations. Unless mini-series count. So book-to-movie.
    23. The Trial. Both movie versions are better than the book.
    24. Stand-alones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fun tag, I like! Well except that bit about The Hunger Games ;) I did really like the movies I just... liked the books more. A little more, not like, a ton. Anyway. I cannot stop reading in the middle of chapters though! I am so impressed that you can! I end up getting annoyed with long-chaptered books for this reason. Totally agree with you about short books and characters over plot! And seriously, I wish I could buy all the books at the physical bookstore, but then I could only own like, one book a year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm tagged! Lol. This will be my next post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post. I feel like I understand your bookish ways a lot better now! I agree that everyone should read The Handmaid's Tale (especially in these times...). I have held on to my copy for at least 20 years. Have a wonderful week, and thanls for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still need to finish The Hunger Games movies. I agree that they're fantastic! And I loved the one about using a Kindle as a bookmark. I've done that too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've done this tag before...can't actually remember now! In the ideal world you want good plot and characters but if I hate the characters, I disengage from the plot however good it might be. So yes I agree with that. For me internet shopping is the only way to get the Indie books I want. I like paperbacks as hardbacks are too expensive and take up too much shelf space.

    ReplyDelete