Saturday, March 12, 2016

The “I Didn’t Bite The Dentist” Book Haul


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten.

When you were a kid, did your parents ever bribe you to be good at the dentist? Like, if you didn’t cry, they’d buy you ice cream?

Well, I’ve been spending a lot of time at the dentist recently, and after one appointment, I stopped at Target. I’m technically still on a book-acquiring ban, but hardcover books at Target were 30% off. How can you pass that up? I justified getting myself some books by saying that I needed a reward for not biting the dentist. Here’s what I got:




All The Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr


Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel. 
In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.





Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things – Jenny Lawson


In her new book, Furiously Happy, Jenny explores her lifelong battle with mental illness. A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea. And terrible ideas are what Jenny does best. 
According to Jenny: "Some people might think that being 'furiously happy' is just an excuse to be stupid and irresponsible and invite a herd of kangaroos over to your house without telling your husband first because you suspect he would say no since he's never particularly liked kangaroos. And that would be ridiculous because no one would invite a herd of kangaroos into their house. Two is the limit. I speak from personal experience. My husband says that none is the new limit. I say he should have been clearer about that before I rented all those kangaroos." 
"Most of my favorite people are dangerously fucked-up but you'd never guess because we've learned to bare it so honestly that it becomes the new normal. Like John Hughes wrote in The Breakfast Club, 'We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it.' Except go back and cross out the word 'hiding.'"


I also ordered two books online for school:



 

I Am The Cheese – Robert Cormier


Adam Farmer is on a journey—he has to get to Rutterburg with a parcel for his father. But as he travels, he starts to remember the events leading up to this point, memories which are also being pried out in grueling psychiatric interviews. What is the secret of Adam Farmer? And what will happen when he finds out?




Ordinary People – Judith Guest


The Jarrets are a typical American family. Calvin is a determined, successful provider and Beth an organized, efficient wife. They had two sons, Conrad and Buck, but now they have one. In this memorable, moving novel, Judith Guest takes the reader into their lives to share their misunderstandings, pain . . . and ultimate healing.





11 comments:

  1. That seems like a legit reason to me. Why shouldn't we be rewarded for not biting the dentist, even if we're adults? I really want to read Furiously Happy! And I did enjoy All the Light We Cannot See, so I hope you will too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) gets ice cream if he doesn't bite the dentist. But he rarely gets any....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah, going to the dentist sucks. Lately, I've been visiting him quite regularly myself. It's been four times already. It's not cool or fun. And a bit expensive. Like, I could buy so many books for the money I spend on the dentist. But, what has to be done, has to be done. I do like my teeth in my mouth, you know. :D Thankfully, there's only a visit or two left.
    Though I haven't rewarded myself for not biting the dentist, even though I don't bite him. But I did once, when I was 5 or 6, I think. Wonder whether he remembers that :D
    IT sure is a legit reason to buy books. :) Have fun reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been meaning to read Furiously Happy! I hope you enjoy it!

    Check out our STS

    Leydy @ Once Upon A Twilight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek! The dentist, definitely not my favorite place to visit. No wonder you saw fit to treat yourself.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I love your reasoning, AJ! And of course you deserve a reward for being good at the dentist's!
    I hope you'll enjoy your new books.
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. When books are the reward... who cares what the difficult activity was. I am rewarding myself when I get my 3x per week run in and so far its working! Hope you enjoy your rewards!
    Bambi's StS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not biting the dentist sounds like a great reason to buy books. I loved All the Light We Cannot See and have Furiously Happy on my TBR. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good book haul! I actually need to get to the dentist. But I want to try a new one, and keep putting it off. Hope you have a great week coming up!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids get a treat every time they get shots or dental work done. We get the treat at the coffee shop, because mom deserves something for that stress too! I've been wanting to read both the books you bought, and the wait at the library is crazy long, so buying them on sale was a good call. The two "school" books bring back memories. I don't think I ever read I Am the Cheese, but it was one of the serious YA books of my era, and Ordinary People was a very popular movie. I was a little too young for it, so I read the book when I was a bit older. It might be a bit maudlin for today's tastes, but I don't remember clearly enough to say.

    In case I forget--happy birthday this week! Nicole at FYFA is spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete