Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Black Friday Haul: Poetry Edition


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently. I went a little nuts on Black Friday. Here are the poetry books I got:





Witness – Karen Hesse

The year is 1924, and a small town in Vermont is falling under the influence of the Ku Klux Klan. Two girls, Leanora Sutter and Esther Hirch, one black and the other Jewish, are among those who are no longer welcome. As the potential for violence increases, heroes and villains are revealed, and everyone in town is affected. With breathtaking verse, Karen Hesse tells her story in the voices of several characters. Through this chorus of voices, the true spirit of the town emerges. Witness is a story of poverty and prejudice but, ultimately, of hope and redemption.





Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow – Ted Hughes

Crow was Ted Hughes's fourth book of poems for adults and a pivotal moment in his writing career. In it, he found both a structure and a persona that gave his vision a new power and coherence. A deep engagement with history, mythology and the natural world combine to forge a work of impressive and unsettling force.




Have you read either of these? What did you think?








9 comments:

  1. Ohhh, such good choices! I don't read nearly enough historical fiction (historical romance, yes). Or poetry. I hope you enjoy both of your new books, AJ!

    Happy New Year. =)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your books are a very different genre than what I normally read. Great stack this week. Enjoy them.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul. I haven't heard of these.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. You KNOW I love Witness. Now I'm nervous you won't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both new to me. I hope you enjoy them and look forward to your thoughts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read either of these, but poetry is always a yes for me because I love it. So I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete