Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I Didn’t Click With



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is top ten characters I didn’t click with. These are just my personal feelings. I know that most of my opinions will be hugely unpopular. Please don’t hate me, but let me know why you love the characters I didn’t click with.

Characters I Didn't Click With



10. Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter Series – J.K. Rowling): A lot of people seem to love him, but I don’t get it. Didn’t he support the extermination of muggles and half-bloods? What’s to like about that?


9. Susannah Dean (The Dark Tower Series – Stephen King): I can’t stand the way she speaks or her multiple personalities. I like the series, but Susannah got on my nerves.


8. All of the characters in We Were Liars (E. Lockhart): I like the plot and love the writing style of this book. I just didn’t feel anything for the characters.


7. Tris and Four (Divergent Series – Veronica Roth): I don’t hate them or anything, but their personalities are bland for my tastes. When I finished the series, I couldn’t really remember anything about them.


6. Mia Hall (If I Stay – Gayle Forman): I like characters who have some big flaws, and Mia is just a little too perfect for me.


5. August Pullman (Wonder – R.J. Palacio): Exact same situation as above. Auggie is too sweet for me.


4. Clary Fray (The Mortal Instruments Series– Cassandra Clare): I think she’s bland and underdeveloped compared to the other characters in the series. I couldn’t connect to her as well as I could connect to the other characters.


3. Bella and Edward (Twilight Series – Stephenie Meyer): Bella is weak-minded, and Edward is abusive. I spent the whole series waiting for him to snap and murder her. I just wanted Bella to run away. Fast.




2. Ana and Christian (50 Shades of Grey Series–E.L. James): Similar situation to the one above. Ana is an underdeveloped character, and Christian is creepy.




1. Hannah Baker (Thirteen Reasons Why – Jay Asher): I had a hard time finishing this book because I disliked Hannah so much. She’s a psycho-bitch who finds a way to psychologically torture her classmates from beyond the grave. I was supposed to feel bad for her, but I didn’t.




18 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that 50 shades one is hysterical!!! Your list is great - totally agree with 50 Shades, We Were Liars - I liked the book too but eh on the characters, and Mia is one that I was not feeling even though I liked that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with quite a lot of these! Tris and Four just didn't sit well with me- and Auggie was just too sweet. I also like characters with big flaws: characters who seem perfect just bore me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree about Divergent, Mortal Instruments (it's part of the reason I never finished the series), Twilight, & 50 Shades (I started this and three chapters in I could no longer torture myself). A few of these other ones I've never read, but I gotta disagree about Draco. He's my baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clary and Tris made my list this week too!! And I agree with you on Malfoy, I never liked him. I always felt the same way Harry did about him, so I'm not a fan. I do love Tom Felton though :) Great picks^^ the joke about 50 Shades is awesome - even though I've never read the book and never will. I know enough about it to agree XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had Bella and Ana on mine too. I totally forgot to add Tris. I have only read the first book, but know about the 3rd one. She was annoying in the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with so many of these! I was SO close to adding We Were Liars to my list!! I couldn't connect with any of the characters in that book! And Malfoy is a weird case... I hated him in the book, but loved him in the movie! I think there are some film villains that you just have to love.

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with We Were Liars. The style and story were interesting, but there wasn't much to the characters. And I also feel the same with Tris and Four in a lot of ways. Particularly after reading the last book. I just felt like nothing ever happened with their characters or the plot. It annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bella totally made my list this week too! Her and Edward make me so sick! LOL! I also can't stand Ana and Christian and I refuse to read the 50 Shades books! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man i completely forgot about Susannah! Completely with you with that character. Never liked her showing up in the books and preferred when ever she was not present.
    And i understand Draco. I honestly thought that Rowling actually wrote him as one of those characters that weren't supposed to "click" so i didn't even think about adding him, but i never understand how people can like him as he was written in the books, since he clearly was not a nice guy. Or even passable. I have a Harry Potter character on my list as well :)
    I had to laugh at your Twilight and Fifty shades of grey pictures. they are so perfectly fitting!
    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL totally true about 50 Shades!! Completely agree with you about Draco & Edward/Bella! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tris was on my list too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/top-ten-tuesday-20/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that I'm currently rereading the series for the billionth time, I agree. Draco is so, so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't a fan of We Were Liars despite the hype. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I know what you mean about We Were Liars. The plot was amazing with a fab plot twist, but in general I felt completely disconnected from the characters. It was a pretty strange experience, especially as I am a more character driven reader.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You didn't click with August? *sad face* Totally agree about Draco, though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO MANY of these I agree with! We Were Liars is such a good one. I feel like I didn't connect with any of them, because I couldn't even remember their names. Yawn. Totally agree with Clary, everyone in Fifty Shades. I read If I Stay so long ago that I wonder if I'd even still like it if I read it now to be honest. And Tris and Four... I liked them once upon a time. I hate movie Tris and Four, and I hate who they ended up being so... yeah. Fabulous list!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete