Thursday, January 11, 2018

Discussion: Did I Actually Keep My 2017 Resolutions?

The 2018 Discussion Challenge is hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction & It Starts At Midnight


I make resolutions every year, but I’m not always the best at keeping them. I posted my 2017 resolutions last year, so let’s see how I did.



Did I Actually Keep My 2017 Resolutions?







Resolution: Read at least 100 books.

Result: Accomplished! I read more in 2017 than I have in any other year. Probably because 2017 was the first year since I was 4 years old that I wasn’t in school. School really interferes with your reading. In 2017, I had no required reading to slow me down. I got to read whatever I wanted. That was an unusual experience.









Resolution: Read more nonfiction.

Result: Accomplished! I read some pretty spectacular nonfiction. Here are a few of my favorites.













Resolution: Stay eclectic (read outside my comfort zone).

Result: Kind of accomplished? I read a lot of nonfiction, some fantasy, a YA romance, some experimental fiction, some poetry. Those aren’t usually in my comfort zone. I read a lot of stuff that was in my comfort zone, though.









Resolution: Reread Harry Potter.

Result: Accomplished! I re-watched all the movies, too.









Resolution: Find diversity.

Result: Accomplished! I probably could have done better in some areas. I’m pretty good at finding books with diverse characters, but I do very little research on the authors who write them. Most of the books I read were written by white American people.


Want to see more of my reading graphs? Click here!







Resolution: Promote small presses.

Result: Massive failure. I don’t have the resources to do this in a meaningful way. I read a few books published by small presses, but I didn’t really promote the presses. I discovered that books by small publishers are:
  1. Expensive.
  2. Hard to find second-hand.
  3. Require research. I spent a lot of time trolling publishers’ websites and looking at all the interesting books I can’t afford.


Maybe I’ll try this again someday.


Only 15.13% of the books I read last year came from small publishers or indie authors







Resolution: Promote the older posts on my blog.

Result: Mostly failure. I did get much better about remembering to Tweet links to my posts. Still, nobody reads the older posts on my blog. Or my Tweets, now that I think about it.









Resolution: Complete the Blogging From A To Z Challenge in April.

Result: Accomplished! I managed to post every day in April and find a topic for each letter. I kind of want to do the challenge again this year, but I probably won't. I’m not sure if I’ll have time. It took me months to write those posts last year.









Resolution: Organize my discussion posts in a logical way.

Result: Accomplished! I now have a Discussion Library. It’s up there ^, under the header. All my opinions about stuff are in one place.









Did you make resolutions last year? Did you keep them?








38 comments:

  1. You did great overall, it is hard to find small press books though. Do you follow Kristen at Metaphors and Moonlight? She reads a lot of indie/self pub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I follow Kristen. I should probably check out her blog more often. I spent some time on it yesterday, snooping around.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. I spent years experimenting with genres and stuff but for the most part I now stay in my comfort zone! I pick up the odd interesting sounding book outside that if I see it on a blog but this doesn't happen often. I do have to spend to buy the self published stuff as they are expensive and don't turn up in charity shops-that's the down side to them. I can only afford it because I don't spend on anything else! I need to try and join in that A-Z thing in April as it looks like fun. I'm taking expansive notes on every book I read and DNF so it is easier to do my charts and stuff in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do A to Z, good luck. It was really challenging for me. I trade for my books at used bookstores, so it’s nearly impossible to find stuff from small presses.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you did a great job on your resolutions! One of my goals this year is to read more nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your resolutions!! <3 Reading 113 is AMAZING, go you! Also hahaha that cat is meeee I'm honestly so bad at reading outside my comfort zone nowadays. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try really hard not to have a reading comfort zone, but I always seem to get pulled back to the same things.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. Wow you did a really amazing job on your resolutions!! I want to read more non fiction too. Sound of Gravel is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great job on your goals! I'd say overall you did amazingly well because even the one you say you 'failed' at you still made a great attempt at. I am personally so bad at remembering to Tweet links to my posts--I'll remember for a solid week or two.. and then completely forget. Maybe this year! Glad you had such a fantastic year of reading! And not having school definitely opens up reading time, it's so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m impressed that I did so well with remembering to Tweet links. I think I only forgot a few times.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. Good job on keeping most of your resolutions! You rocked the most important one -- rereading Harry Potter. :)

    Small presses are expensive! I have a hard time supporting them because they cost so much and I usually don't get as much enjoyment out of one of their books as I do with a book from the big guys.

    I mostly stuck to my resolutions, but I didn't do as well as you did. I think I'll do better this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I loved rereading Harry Potter. I kind of want to do it again this year, but I have so many unread books on my shelf!

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. All in all, it sounds like you've done a pretty great job with your goals! I love the meme you've shared under rereading Harry Potter - it did give me a chuckle.

    Good luck with your bookish goals for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I haven't even gone back to look at what I posted as my goals for 2017... I probably should lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared to go back and look at mine, but I ended up doing pretty well.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  10. I don't research authors before I read either. I base my decision on the book unless it's an author I've read before.
    Good luck for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m trying really hard to read authors from different parts of the world. It’s hard because it takes some research, and I’m a lazy human.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  11. You did really well, you must be feeling pretty proud of yourself :-)
    I tend to check authors before choosing books because of my WorldReads challenge (blogging about 5 books from a different country each month). I'm coming up two years on this now so the 'easy' countries are already done. It's fun to read round the world though.
    I didn't do so well on my blog comments last year so will try harder this year. I'm a bit shy and lurking is the easier option!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lurked on blogs for about 2 years before I got brave enough to comment, so I understand! I’ve been thinking of doing some kind of “Around the World” challenge. I need to get away from US authors.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  12. You did great with eclectic reading and nonfiction reading. The A-Z Challenge kicked my butt the time I tried it, so I'm super impressed you made it through so well. And now I'm thinking I need to organize my discussion posts too. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The A to Z Challenge almost killed me. That’s why I’m probably not going to do it again. I want to live!

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  13. You did a fantastic job with your resolutions last year, AJ! You picked some really great books to meet most of these and I know that several books are sitting on my tbr because of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you did well... but I never make resolutions so I always keep them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't do well on my blogging resolutions. Actually, that was the topic this past week for Beyond the Books. You did really well on your resolutions though. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did an awesome job! Your goals were more ambitious than mine, so color me impressed. I did well on my reading challenges, but failed miserably with reading my own books (25/352, ouch!). And BTW, I read your tweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you for reading my tweets! Some of them are pretty idiotic.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  17. Yayy that you kept a ton of your resolutions! I completed...like 50% of mine.😂 I'm a bit terribly ashamed ahhhem. But hey, any progress is still some haha. (Also I do understand the pain of small presses. I bought a small press book this year and paid like $25 for a paperback [HOLY HECK] and it came and turned out it was 250 pages?!? I mean. I want to support more small-time or indie authors but I am nOT rich so that's not going to happen again.) *cries*

    I love your pie charts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really want to support small publishers, but I’m not rich enough. If my blog was bigger, maybe they’d give me review copies, but I was scared to ask, and I wanted to support them with money. It just didn’t work out.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  18. Sounds like you killed it at most of your goals! I really need to do something to promote older posts. I never promote them, but I sometimes think about how some of them are actually pretty good and I'm sad that they're sitting there gathering dust in my archives since no one reads them anymore :-/

    Funny, I've noticed that big pub's books are more expensive, at least ebooks. And they're harder for me to get review copies from since my blog isn't that big. So I end up reading way more self pub and indie books. But yeah, if you read print book, they're more expensive, and I hate that :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly read print books, and I usually can’t pay full price for them, so I have to get them used. At used bookstores, it’s easier to find stuff from big publishers. I’m sad about that.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  19. I'd say that's pretty darn good! One thing about the small presses---you might approach them about reviewing for them. Smaller publishers have less people requesting review copies and might be happy to get some attention!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  20. Promoting small presses is actually quite tough, if you ask me. I tried finding all the indie presses or the small retailers but like you said, sometimes their books are too expensive and at times, they're not very interactive either. I think doing a bit more research and then trying this might be helpful since that's what I'll be doing now onward :D Seems like 2017 was a fairly good reading year for you! <3 I hope 2018 would be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You pretty much smashed those 2017 goals! I find it so hard to remember to promote my old blog posts. I managed to do a twitter thing which shares unarchived posts and very rarely does anyone hop over and comment or anything but it's still doing something! Promoting small presses IS hard but it is good that you tried. Looking forward to seeing your 2018 goals and congrats for smashing these!

    ReplyDelete