Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is all about villains. I’ve decided to rank the villains of Harry Potter according to “interestingness,” with #1 being the most interesting. I know, super scientific, right? Let’s get started.
A Definitive Ranking Of Harry Potter Villains
10. Aragog & Offspring: Spiders are my archenemies. They’re disgusting, scary, and leave itchy bumps when they bite you. They shouldn’t exist. Aragog is a cautionary tale about why you should always squish spiders. You can’t trust them not to grow huge and have a zillion icky spider babies.
9. Lucius Malfoy: He claims he’s loyal to Voldemort, but he’s only loyal to himself. He’s the cowardly type who cares about appearances and reputations more than anything.
8. Bellatrix Lestrange: A psychopath who doesn’t hesitate to torture and murder people. You don’t want to make her mad. She’ll enjoy killing you slowly.
7. Peter Pettigrew: Another cowardly type who’ll do anything to save himself. He’s so good at hiding that Ron lives with him and doesn’t even know it.
6. Dolores Umbridge: The politician type of villain. She tries to use the government to bring her evil schemes to life. If you’re currently in the US, you know all about evil politicians . . .
5. Lord Voldemort: The series wouldn’t exist without him. He’s the ultimate, supremely-powerful supervillain.
4. Draco Malfoy: The school bully. He acts much tougher than he really is. Also, he has a giant real-life fan club that I don’t understand. He always seemed pretty smarmy to me.
3. Sirius Black: Some of the most interesting villains are the ones who might not actually be villains. Sirius is locked in prison for years because people think he’s a murderer. Harry spends the entire third book looking for bad guys in all the wrong places . . .
2. Albus Dumbledore: I know what you’re thinking: Um, Dumbledore isn’t a villain. Well, I’m here to tell you that he kinda is. He’s not a heinous villain, but he does make some dubious decisions. (Protip: If your job is to keep kids safe, you probably shouldn’t enter them in a deadly tournament. Just a suggestion.) Dumbledore doesn’t trust himself to be in a position of power, which is why he never became Minister of Magic. At least he’s aware of his villain-ness.
1. Severus Snape: One of the most interesting villains in literature. I put him firmly in the “villain” camp because he’s an adult who bullies children. That’s pretty messed up. He’s the most interesting villain in the series because the author keeps us guessing about his loyalty for 7 books.
It was hard to pick only 10. This series has so many great bad guys. Who is your favorite Harry Potter villain?