Saturday, August 13, 2016

The “Well, That Escalated Quickly” Book Haul (Part 1)


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently.

I went on Amazon and Book Outlet to get 2 books for school, and I somehow ended up with 2 school books and 9 non-school books. It happened so quickly! I swear I don’t know how the extra books ended up in my cart. At least they were cheap, right? Here are the first 6 of my 11.




Echo – Pam Muñoz Ryan


Lost and alone in a forbidden forest, Otto meets three mysterious sisters and suddenly finds himself entwined in a puzzling quest involving a prophecy, a promise, and a harmonica.   Decades later, Friedrich in Germany, Mike in Pennsylvania, and Ivy in California each, in turn, become interwoven when the very same harmonica lands in their lives. All the children face daunting challenges: rescuing a father, protecting a brother, holding a family together. And ultimately, pulled by the invisible thread of destiny, their suspenseful solo stories converge in an orchestral crescendo. 





IT – Stephen King


To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, Derry, Maine was just their hometown: familiar, well-ordered for the most part. A good place to live. 
It was the children who saw—and felt—what made Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the sewers, IT lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each one's deepest dread. Sometimes IT reached up, seizing, tearing, killing . . . 
The adults, knowing better, knew nothing. 
Time passed and the children grew up, moved away. The horror of IT was deep-buried, wrapped in forgetfulness. Until they were called back, once more to confront IT as IT stirred and coiled in the sullen depths of their memories, reaching up again to make their past nightmares a terrible present reality.




Revolver – Marcus Sedgwick


It's 1910. In a cabin north of the Arctic Circle, in a place murderously cold and desolate, Sig Andersson is alone. Except for the corpse of his father, frozen to death that morning when he fell through the ice on the lake. 
The cabin is silent, so silent, and then there's a knock at the door. It's a stranger, and as his extraordinary story of gold dust and gold lust unwinds, Sig's thoughts turn more and more to his father's prized possession, a Colt revolver, hidden in the storeroom. 
A revolver just waiting to be used . . . but should Sig use it, or not?




There Once Lived A Mother Who Loved Her Children, Until They Moved Back In: Three Novellas About Family - Ludmilla Petrushevskaya


After her work was suppressed for many years, Ludmilla Petrushevskaya won wide recognition for capturing the experiences of everyday Russians with profound pathos and mordant wit. Among her most famous and controversial works, these three novellas—The Time Is Night, Chocolates with Liqueur (inspired by Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado”), and Among Friends—are modern classics that breathe new life into Tolstoy’s famous dictum, “All happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Together they confirm the genius of an author with a gift for turning adversity into art.




Me Before You – JoJo Moyes


Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. 
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. 
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. 
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of color. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.




The Ghosts of Heaven – Marcus Sedgwick


Four linked stories boldly chronicle madness, obsession, and creation through the ages. Beginning with the cave-drawings of a young girl on the brink of creating the earliest form of writing, Sedgwick traverses history, plunging into the seventeenth century witch hunts and a 1920s insane asylum where a mad poet's obsession with spirals seems to be about to unhinge the world of the doctor trying to save him. Sedgwick moves beyond the boundaries of historical fiction and into the future in the book's final section, set upon a spaceship voyaging to settle another world for the first time.




Have you read any of these? What did you think?







10 comments:

  1. I recently read Me Before You and loved it! Hope you do too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these, even, surprisingly, Stephen King's It. I've actually only read one King book, and it wasn't even one of the more popular ones.

    I hope you enjoy your new books.

    My <a href="http://www.shellsstories.com/2016/08/stacking-shelves-dark-immortals-edition.html>Shell's Stories</a>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the movie for It. Not his worst or his best.

    (Me Before You has also been made into a movie, if you're interested.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ghosts of Heaven was one of my favorite books of 2015, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :) I've heard a lot of great things about Me Before You as well. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous haul! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved Me Before You. I've only read one book by Marcus Sedwick, so I'm curious to see what I'd think about his other work.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lots of books!!! I really enjoyed Me Before You . Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these! Me Before You is a book we have in common though, and I really want to read because there seems to be a lot of fuss kicking up about that one lately. Oh, and Echo sounds promising. That author has a lot of respect in my mind <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Me Before You! I haven't read any of the other books, but I hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was this at a physical Amazon store or are they all eBooks?
    The only book from you list I've read is IT. It was the very first 1,000 page book I have ever read and it's still one of my favorite. I read it when I was 16, so I was immensely proud of my self. I heard there's going to be an IT remake?? I hope it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This happens to me all the time where I go on Amazon to buy one or two specific books and then 'accidentally' end up with a cart full! If they're bargains it's allowed though :)
    I read Me Before You a while back and loved it, so I really hope you enjoy that one too. I still have never read any Stephen King (except his book on writing), although I've had The Shining for ages! I'm just worried I'll get to scared! I've heard IT is the scariest one though!

    ReplyDelete