Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is top ten books I probably will never read. This topic is hard because I can’t think of any individual book that I won’t read. So, I changed the topic to top ten genres I’m unlikely to read. That’s close enough, right?
1. Erotica: I guess I just don’t find sex scenes that interesting. The plots of erotica books are also slightly ridiculous sometimes. I read one years ago where the heroine was being chased by a serial killer, but she just had to quit running to have a quickie with the hero. If a character stops running from a murderer in order to have sex, that character deserves to be murdered. (Spoiler: the hero saves her from the killer. Of course.)
2. Self-published books: I have a hard time finding good self-published books. I end up DNFing most of them. Any recommendations?
3. Romance: I don’t mind books with romantic subplots, but I can’t get interested in books that are mostly romance. They start to feel very repetitive to me.
4. Summer Beach Reads: I don’t like “Fluffy” books that are just for entertainment. I like books that have depth and make me think.
5. Christian/Spiritual: I have read a few of these books out of curiosity, but it’s not a genre that I find appealing. Probably because I’m not a religious person.
6. Poetry: I have read a ton of poetry, and I still don’t feel like I totally “get” it.
7. Paranormal: I’ve tried so hard with this genre because I know that a lot of people love it. I just can’t get in to the whole vampires/werewolves/angels/demons thing. I read the Twilight series and didn’t like it. I read The Mortal Instruments series and didn’t like it. I’ve read a bunch of standalones that I didn’t like. Maybe I just haven’t found the right paranormal book.
8. High Fantasy: I used to read a lot of this genre when I was younger, but the books started to feel like clones of each other. Maybe I burned myself out and couldn’t handle any more elves, fairies, and evil kings.
9. Fairytale Retellings: I guess I don’t love fairytales as much as everybody else does.
10. Really Long Series: I find long series intimidating. I either don’t start them or I get bored in the middle and don’t finish them. Harry Potter is the longest series I’ve ever finished.
What about you? What genres are you unlikely to read?