Thursday, June 22, 2017

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag


This tag has been around forever. I think I may have even done it before. The good news is that the answers change every year, so here it is again.







Mid-Year Book Freak Out








Best book you’ve read so far in 2017?


I reread the whole Harry Potter series this year, so I’m going to try not to answer “Harry Potter” for every question. The best non-Potter thing I read this year is Most Dangerous. It’s a nonfiction book about government leakers and whistleblowers. Even though it’s about the Vietnam War years, it’s surprisingly relevant. I need to find more books like this.








Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2017?


Okay, ignore everything I said in the last question. The only sequels I’ve read this year are Harry Potter. I do plan on reading Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab. I just haven’t done it yet.








New release you haven’t read yet but want to?


This was one of my most-anticipated releases of 2017. Have I read it yet? Of course not.








Most-anticipated release for the second half of 2017?


I think this comes out in September? As soon as I saw the title, I knew I needed it. That’s my kind of title.








Biggest disappointment?


An atmospheric alternate-history dystopia that’s set in a world where sin is visible. That sounds glorious. Too bad there’s no plot.








Biggest surprise?


Honestly, I only read this book because it has won so many big awards. Turns out, it totally deserves those awards.








Favorite new author?


This is tricky because I haven’t loved many books from new-to-me authors this year. I am curious about Ruta Sepetys’s books. I wasn’t blown away by Between Shades of Gray, but I’m interested enough in her work to read more of it.








Newest fictional crush?


I’ve still never gotten a crush on a fictional character.







Newest favorite character?


The sausage in “The Mouse, The Bird, and The Sausage” by the Brothers Grimm. The character is a sausage that likes to cook. The story never says what it cooks, but I imagine that it cooks the bodies of enemy sausages.








Book that made you cry?


A book has still never made me cry. I’m pretty sure I don’t have emotions.







Book that made you happy?


Besides the sausage one, you mean? Guts by Gary Paulsen. I loved the Brian books when I was a kid, so I liked learning the stories behind the series.








Favorite book-to-movie adaptation you saw this year?


This isn’t an adaptation, but I really liked Capote. It’s about Truman Capote, Harper Lee, and the book In Cold Blood.








Favorite review you’ve written this year?


I had a lot of fun writing my review for Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm. Most of you already know these stories, so I got to deviate from my usual review formula.








Most beautiful book you bought so far this year?


My copy is banged up because I got it from the scratch-and-dent section of Book Outlet, but it’s still a beautiful book. My only complaint is that the covers are very glittery. I hate glitter. Haven’t book designers heard that glitter is the STD of art supplies? It sticks on everyone and everything, and it doesn’t come off. This book got glitter on my hands, and on my pillows, and on my desk, and on my dog. It was stressful. #FirstWorldProblems

Are you sick of looking at this book yet? I've only shoved it in this post 3 times.







What books do you need to read by the end of the year?


So many! I should probably prioritize The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff and We Are Unprepared by Meg Little Reilly because they’ve been on my To-Be-Read shelf since last year. I just haven’t felt motivated to read them. All the other unread books on my shelf were acquired in the last six months, so I don’t feel too bad about letting them chill on the shelf.







Do you want to do this tag? Consider yourself tagged.








19 comments:

  1. You have pushed me to definitely read (actually listen to) Most Dangerous. THUG was very good and I am also excited for They Both Die in the End. The Fairytales cover is gorgeous. Fun tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad to hear that THUG was good. I’m waiting for the hype to die down before I read it.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  2. I've also never gotten a crush on a fictional character, but I do cry at books, like all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m always happy when I find people who’ve never gotten a crush on a fictional character. Everybody except me seems to have a “book boyfriend.”

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  3. omfg aj i love this tag im so gonna steal it bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. The STD of arts and crafts! I think a good post would be to identify the STDs of all things, or well, most, or some, such as TV dramas, tropical fruits, and members of the amphibian order. I'd be crap at this post unless you'd allow audiobooks, which I do read (the covers of).

    Lastly, I predict I'll create a fictional character that will give you a severe case of the crushies. (And not literature's version of an STD I hope.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I think avocados are the STD of food. When I was a kid, I only saw them on Tex-Mex food. Now they’re on everything. There’s even avocado ice cream. Iguanas might be the STD of reptiles. Aren’t there southern states that have wild iguana problems? You don’t want iguanas in your southern regions . . .

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  5. The idea of sin being visible is a great concept so it's a pity it didn't deliver. I'm liking the idea of that sausage maybe cooking enemy sausages! Great cover for the fairytales, I do agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most Dangerous does sound pretty timely! And they Both Die At The End is one of the more unique titles I think I've seen.

    We Are Unprepared is another interesting title...

    Lol about glitter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pretty sure _They Both Die at the End_ is one of the best book titles ever. I hope it’s not a lie.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  7. A sausage that cooks - I love it! I am kind of jealous that you have never cried over a book. I cried just this morning. I must be getting soft in my old age. I have heard a lot of good things about Sepetys. I have not read any of her books, but I have heard good things.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I’d cry if I read more nonfiction? I guess I just don’t get invested enough in fiction to cry over it. Also, I’m heartless, so there’s that.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  8. I did this tag today, but I think I did an older version, as some of the questions are different:)) We do have some similar answers though:) "They Both Die At the End" is also my most anticipated release. And I definitely need to pick THUG, as I was so excited for it.

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read The Hate U Give and Harry Potter. Ruta Septeys is also on my list. Great tag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked THUG, but I think my expectations were TOO high. I hate that. I really liked The 19th Wife.

    ReplyDelete