Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Massive Spring Book Haul (Part 4)


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently. I’ve acquired an insane number of books in the past few months. I’m going to show them to you in batches so that neither of us gets overwhelmed.





The One Hundred Nights Of Hero – Isabel Greenberg


In the Empire of Migdal Bavel, Cherry is married to Jerome, a wicked man who makes a diabolical wager with his friend Manfred: if Manfred can seduce Cherry in one hundred nights, he can have his castle—and Cherry. 
But what Jerome doesn't know is that Cherry is in love with her maid Hero. The two women hatch a plan: Hero, a member of the League of Secret Story Tellers, will distract Manfred by regaling him with a mesmerizing tale each night for 100 nights, keeping him at bay. Those tales are beautifully depicted here, touching on themes of love and betrayal and loyalty and madness.





So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed – Jon Ronson


For the past three years, Jon Ronson has traveled the world meeting recipients of high-profile public shamings. The shamed are people like us, people who, say, made a joke on social media that came out badly or made a mistake at work. Once the transgression is revealed, collective outrage circles with the force of a hurricane and the next thing they know, they're being torn apart by an angry mob, jeered at, demonized, sometimes even fired from their job. 
A great renaissance of public shaming is sweeping our land. Justice has been democratized. The silent majority are getting a voice, but what are we doing with our voice? We are mercilessly finding people's faults. We are defining the boundaries of normality by ruining the lives of those outside it. We are using shame as a form of social control.





The Stranger In The Woods: The Extraordinary Story Of The Last True Hermit – Michael Finkel


In 1986, a shy and intelligent twenty-year-old named Christopher Knight left his home in Massachusetts, drove to Maine, and disappeared into the forest. He would not have a conversation with another human being until nearly three decades later, when he was arrested for stealing food. Living in a tent even through brutal winters, he had survived by his wits and courage, developing ingenious ways to store edibles and water, and to avoid freezing to death. He broke into nearby cottages for food, clothing, reading material, and other provisions, taking only what he needed but terrifying a community never able to solve the mysterious burglaries. Based on extensive interviews with Knight himself, this is a vividly detailed account of his secluded life—why did he leave? What did he learn?—as well as the challenges he has faced since returning to the world. It is a gripping story of survival that asks fundamental questions about solitude, community, and what makes a good life, and a deeply moving portrait of a man who was determined to live his own way, and succeeded.






State Of Wonder – Ann Patchett


As Dr. Marina Singh embarks upon an uncertain odyssey into the insect-infested Amazon, she will be forced to surrender herself to the lush but forbidding world that awaits within the jungle. Charged with finding her former mentor Dr. Annick Swenson, a researcher who has disappeared while working on a valuable new drug, she will have to confront her own memories of tragedy and sacrifice as she journeys into the unforgiving heart of darkness.





Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier


The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives—presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave.






Have you read any of these? What did you think?






14 comments:

  1. Oh I had heard of the public shaming book. Can't wait to see what you think. Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I hadn't heard of The One Hundred Nights of Hero, but it sounds like it might be up my alley. I'll have to check it out. Hope you enjoy your haul!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year I say I'm going to read Rebecca! When will I finally do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you`ve been publicly shamed sounds really interesting! While I believe that we should speak up when someone does/says something stupid, as long as they are sorry we shouldn`t go on a witch hunt. It all comes down to the gravity of the deed.

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca is on my list to read this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your books are new to me. I hadn't heard of any of these. Great stack.

    Grace @ books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I love the descriptions of all of these books! I need to put them on my TBR so I won't forget. Have a blast reading these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Stranger in the Woods and State of Wonder. I'm excited to read both of them. I just read Rebecca a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. I hope you like all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've eyed the first three in bookstores lately myself. I don't think I've ever actually read any Patchett, but I read Rebecca a few times when I was young. It might not wow you, but was quite the twisty psychological thriller in its day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca is one of my favorite books, as most of Daphne Du Maurier books. I hope you enjoy it. Have a wonderful reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am seeing Stranger in the Woods around a lot! Lovely haul!
    Here's my STS

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these books. I have been tempted by The Stranger in the Woods so I will be looking forward to your thoughts. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete