Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Genres I’m Unlikely To Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is top ten books I probably will never read. This topic is hard because I can’t think of any individual book that I won’t read. So, I changed the topic to top ten genres I’m unlikely to read. That’s close enough, right?

1. Erotica: I guess I just don’t find sex scenes that interesting. The plots of erotica books are also slightly ridiculous sometimes. I read one years ago where the heroine was being chased by a serial killer, but she just had to quit running to have a quickie with the hero. If a character stops running from a murderer in order to have sex, that character deserves to be murdered. (Spoiler: the hero saves her from the killer. Of course.)

2. Self-published books: I have a hard time finding good self-published books. I end up DNFing most of them. Any recommendations?

3. Romance: I don’t mind books with romantic subplots, but I can’t get interested in books that are mostly romance. They start to feel very repetitive to me.



4. Summer Beach Reads: I don’t like “Fluffy” books that are just for entertainment. I like books that have depth and make me think.

5. Christian/Spiritual: I have read a few of these books out of curiosity, but it’s not a genre that I find appealing. Probably because I’m not a religious person.

6. Poetry: I have read a ton of poetry, and I still don’t feel like I totally “get” it.



7. Paranormal: I’ve tried so hard with this genre because I know that a lot of people love it. I just can’t get in to the whole vampires/werewolves/angels/demons thing. I read the Twilight series and didn’t like it. I read The Mortal Instruments series and didn’t like it. I’ve read a bunch of standalones that I didn’t like. Maybe I just haven’t found the right paranormal book.

8. High Fantasy: I used to read a lot of this genre when I was younger, but the books started to feel like clones of each other. Maybe I burned myself out and couldn’t handle any more elves, fairies, and evil kings.

9. Fairytale Retellings: I guess I don’t love fairytales as much as everybody else does.




10. Really Long Series: I find long series intimidating. I either don’t start them or I get bored in the middle and don’t finish them. Harry Potter is the longest series I’ve ever finished.

What about you? What genres are you unlikely to read?

18 comments:

  1. I am so with you on all of these, especially poetry, Christian themes, and erotica! Good thinking going with genres instead of singular books! I only could think of one series I know I'll never ever read: Fifty Shades of Grey! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little funny pictures used because they really made me laugh! I totally agree with poetry. I read it but I kind of feel dumb because I am not sure if I get it. Long series are not my favorites either. Like how you did this weeks topic too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you with most of your list! The only real long series I've finished is Harry Potter and loved it but I don't know if I could do another long series again. Great list and I love the way you used memes!

    Tina, The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I love fairytale retellings and paranormal genres, but to each his own, I guess! (I like to believe there's a little bit of magic in the world.)
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand romance novels either, especially Sparks, I need something else as the main plot line and romance as a side plot. Plus, I find it a little weird that Sparks is able to write all of those romantic novels, even though the plot of each one is basically the same, I don't know, just weirds me out. I haven't read too many fairy tale retellings, even though they are wildly popular- I wouldn't mind picking some more up though, just not sure which ones to pick up- too many options!
    Thanks for stopping by The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with the first 6 :D

    I haven't venture into long series yet, thou i'm working through Pretty Little Liars so i guess i'll see how that goes!

    I've been reading some Retellings, and its hit or miss with me so far.

    High Fantasy, i got burnt out on it a few weeks back. Tried reading Snow Like Ashes and The Orphan Queen, and DNF both, i just wasn't feeling it.

    Paranormal, i don't think i've read much of that, i probably should thou, get an opinion at least :D

    Great list!!

    brooke @ booklife4life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this twist on the theme! I mostly agree with these; I do read some romance, but it has to be special to stick with me. (Mary Stewart, Georgette Heyer and Susanna Kearsley are the only winners for me so far in romance.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like how you modified this week's post! this was a great idea! although i read alot of the genres you mentioned, i respect your choices! to each their own! cool post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you changed the meme a bit! That meme about Nicolas Sparks' books HAHAHAHA. Love it! I haven't been able to get into poetry either, I wish I could though. I don't think I could ever read Personal Growth books, nope. Or history books. That sounds terrible, wow. I have read erotica, I really enjoyed a series that I thought actually had a plot. And I agree with the romance. I like books with some romance in it otherwise it just gets boring and kind of predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very much like you in many ways. I don't like long series and romances and predictable fiction leaves me cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha I loved that Cinderella graphic! Such a good idea to do genres. I totally feel the same way about most of these, especially long series, christian, and romance. None of them appeal to me at all. I try to give self-published books a chance, but I sadly am disappointed about 99% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like some fairy tale re-tellings and Christian fiction, but there is a lot of poorly written books in both genres.
    I can see erotica and romance as genres that aren't if interest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should try Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, great sci-fi fairytale retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mostly what you said, although I have no problem with series, like some paranormal (although it's being done to death), and just might return to high fantasy some day (although it's been a long time). Add to that westerns, and anything with a guy on the cover with his shirt missing and jeans riding perilously low- and usually with no face.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to be against self-published books but then I discovered a few that I've loved so I've changed my mind about them. I'm very picky about the romance, urban fantasy and high fantasy that I read because I end up liking only a few of them. For romance, you can try checking out Julie James (great banter) and Laura Florand (such a strong sense of place, her books are all set in Paris) and for urban fantasy / paranormal, my favorite series is the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews but there are already 7 books in the series. It might be better if you try her Burn for Me title instead. With high fantasy, I have too many favorites! Maybe Megan Whalen Turner, Kristin Cashore, and Robin McKinley? Good luck, hope you change your mind about some of these genres!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am with you on some of these, sex scenes make me uncomfortable so erotica isn't for me, I also can't get interested in books that are mostly romance, I'm not one for christian books either for the same reasons and I probably wouldn't read self help books or paranormals. I don't really read poetry either. I do however love fantasy, getting thrown into different worlds with fairies and elves and magic, I love it! I also like fairytale retellings because I like to see new spins on old stories. Most of the books I read are series, so I'm not really in a place to comment there but I can understand why you would be intimidated.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried to leave a comment on this and my computer burped ... so I hope if I send this again its not a duplicate. If so sorry!

    I agree with you on the Spiritual, Fantasy and Self-Pub books. My list would also include books set during any war, although some have been known to sneak in occassionally (The Book Thief, The Alphabet House). Seems I can handle blood and gore ala Stephen Kind but not the kind that could sometime have been real. And I cannot get into sci-fi. I cannot keep all the multi-vowel/syllable/invented people and place names straight and I get frustrated.
    Good post!
    I blog at www.constantlymovingthebookmark.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  18. If a series is really long it is a bit off putting to me too. And you won't catch me reading Erotica either >> I am someone who does like Christian fiction but if you aren't religious I can understand why you don't like it. But some of the self published books I have read have been amazing! You really shouldn't write them off yet although I will admit finding good ones can be difficult. My suggestions: Anything by Anne Tibbet, Dying for a Living by Kory M. Shrum and Cinder and Ella by Kelly Oram.

    I love fairytale retellings. They can be so unique <3 Try Cinder by Marissa Meyer for a good one of those.

    ReplyDelete