Sunday, September 20, 2026

The Sunday Post #404

This post contains affiliate links. I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.

The Sunday Post is a chance to recap the past week, talk about next week, tell you what I’m reading, and share news. It’s hosted by The Caffeinated Book Reviewer, Readerbuzz, and Book Date.




The Sunday Post





On The Blog Recently






In My Reading Life


I finished two books. They were both fine.




The first was The Last Season by Eric Blehm. It's a biography of a park ranger named Randy Morgenson. Randy was a backcountry ranger for 28 years. Then, one morning, he didn't answer his radio. Nobody could find him. He had just vanished into the wilderness. This book is about his life and the search for him after he disappeared.

I wish more of the book had been about the search for Randy. I enjoyed learning about the behind-the-scenes stuff that occurs during a multi-day search operation. It's intense. There's a lot happening at once as the searchers try to put together the pieces of Randy's life to figure out where he might have gone. It's super interesting because you're trying to solve a real-life mystery.

I struggled with the chapters that focus on Randy's past. Randy was a writer, and Eric Blehm seems to be enamored with Randy's nature writing. I am far less enamored. Randy was a person who can use a ton of words to say nothing at all. Honestly, I got irritated and skimmed the parts written by Randy. I wanted to get back to the search.

Not my favorite book, but I think it's worth reading if you're curious about living and working in a National Park.






Then I read A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. This novel is clever! I enjoyed it. It's historical fiction about a Russian aristocrat who was arrested by the Bolsheviks and ordered to spend the rest of his life under house arrest at a luxury hotel. The aristocrat—Count Alexander Rostov—is a loveable character. He manages to build a life for himself within the walls of the hotel. He has hobbies, friends, lovers, rivals, even a family. It's a (mostly) sweet story that's set against a backdrop of political upheaval.

The book is clever because it's a modernized Russian classic. That's both good and bad. It's good because A Gentleman In Moscow has just as much complexity as a Russian classic. The writing is stunning. The characters are well-developed. It has a strong sense of place and time.

It's bad because I don't love Russian classics. They're long, meandering, and have entirely too many characters. A Gentleman In Moscow also has these traits. It took me a month to finish the book because it doesn't have much suspense. It's easy to put it down and read something else.

I liked this one, but I liked The Lincoln Highway more. 




In The Rest Of My Life


I haven't been doing much. Work, doctor appointments, sleep, cleaning, being overly excited about The Traitors. I took Brooklyn to Buc-ee's (twice) and watched her go absolutely feral. We have too much beaver merch now.





If you read my "I'm Not Dead" post, then you know I was searching for a new writing challenge. I found one! I decided to write a memoir, but not a serious memoir. I wanted to write the Seinfeld of memoirs. Like, skip over all the important bits of my life and only talk about the minutiae. I wanted to write a memoir that could be read in 22 minutes + commercial breaks.

So, I did it. I wrote a webbook. It's free. It's short. It's true. It's anticlimactic. It's probably confusing. There are commercials. Jerry Seinfeld is a much better writer than me. The comment section might just be for decoration because it wasn't working earlier.

Here it is: About The Horses In The Room: A Micro-History Of Unimportant Events.




My webbook had exactly 0 beta readers, so I'm open to suggestions for making it less . . . sucky. You're my beta readers now. I'm sorry.





Please Read My Horse Book OK Thanks bye!










Take care of yourselves and be kind to each other. See you around the blogosphere!






4 comments:

  1. Amazing! Love the concept. I will have to make some time to read about the little things in your life. I really need to do a road trip where I will pass a Buc-ee's. I want to experience this, but alas, I live in the northeast and am roadtripping to New England. No Buc-ee's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A “Seinfeld of memoirs” made me laugh—writing about the completely unimportant moments of life sounds like such a fun and clever idea! And two trips to Buc-ee’s definitely explains the abundance of beaver merch. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s wonderful AJ! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow she is really growing up. I'd be more interested in the search too.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete