Tuesday, September 17, 2024

My Book Buying Ban: Two Years Later



In August 2022, I ran out of space for new books. They overflowed my shelves, and I started stacking them on the bedroom floor, where I promptly tripped over them. It was a problem. I decided to put myself on a buying ban until I've read (and donated) all my unread books. That was two years ago. Here's what's happened so far.




🕮  An Update On My Book Buying Ban  🚫







1. I learned that books just . . . happen to me. I've barely bought any books in the past two years, but I somehow still own 10 unread books. I've discovered that books happen to me. I get them as gifts for birthdays and holidays. People fling them at me and shout, "Here, read this!" Sometimes books from publishers randomly show up in the mail. Books insert themselves into my life without being invited. I guess there are worse problems to have, but it doesn't help my book hoarding situation.










2. The ban hasn't been a total success. I have bought books in the last two years. I noticed that a lot of my paperback editions of classics were falling apart, so I replaced them with nicer editions. I also spent a stupid amount of money on college textbooks for EMT school. That was not my choice! School doesn't understand book buying bans!










3. I've sold or donated around 400 books. The goal of the buying ban was to make space for new books. I (somewhat) accomplished that mission by getting rid of books that I've read but will never reread. My shelves are still pretty full, but there are no more books on the floor or in the closet. I'm not going to die by tripping over books.










4. I've pivoted to using the library. I haven't been buying books, but I've still been reading them. According to my spreadsheet, 34.2% of the books I've read in 2024 came from the library. This is a slight problem because library books have due dates, and I have to prioritize them over the books I already own. If I want to get through my unread books, I need to stay out of the library.










5. I'm not stopping. I've been on a book buying ban for so long that it's not difficult anymore. I don't miss book shopping because the library fills that void. I'm happier with fewer books cluttering up the house. I think the ban has become a lifestyle. I rarely buy books, and I'm okay with it.













Do you think I'll ever have 0 unread books? I'm going to try.

Do you know how many unread books you have on your shelves?









5 comments:

  1. I have a bunch of unread books, but honestly many of them are borrowed from my sister. I do buy too many books, though. My library is awesome and I need to get back to using it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for not buying books. I can't do that. Recently I've gotten rid of a bunch of books that I know I will never get around to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ten unread books is AMAZING!!!! And sticking to your ban for two years --AMAZING!! It sucks to spend money on textbooks, but what can you do? I read a LOT of library books. It's a fact that seldom buy books. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do a serious unhauling too.
    Hope you're able to hit that 0 unread books. I'd like to do so too but know I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very much the same situation for me! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete