Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Small Presses I’m Curious About


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is whatever I want.

Did you know that the majority of books in bookstores come from the same 4 giant companies? That doesn’t seem right to me. This year, I’m going to branch out and read some books published by small companies. Here are a few presses that I’m curious about. If you’re curious, too, click the links and look at their catalogs.




Small Presses I’m Curious About






& Other Stories



What they publish: Translations, “challenging” books, adult literary novels, short fiction, and some nonfiction. They also have a subscription service.





Bibiloasis



What they publish: adult literary fiction, short stories, nonfiction, children’s books, poetry.





Coach House Books



What they publish: “Innovative” books. Poetry, adult literary fiction, drama, and some nonfiction. They publish Canadian authors only.





dancing girl press



What they publish: “Fresh, innovative, exciting, feminist” poetry by women authors. Their books are handmade.





Freight Books



What they publish: “High quality” adult literary fiction, short story collections, obscure classics, books about Scotland, and some translations and poetry.





Harmony Ink Press



What they publish: Teen and new adult LGBTQ+ fiction.





Prospect Park Books



What they publish: Books with “wit, creativity, intelligence.” Adult literary fiction, mystery and crime fiction, cookbooks, humor, drama, books about southern California, and some children’s books.





Salt



What they publish: Contemporary British novels, short stories, poetry, mystery and crime novels.





Tin House



What they publish: Adult literary fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.




Still curious?




Check out Small Press Distribution. It’s like a nonprofit Amazon for books from small presses. You can browse books by category. 





Do you read books published by small presses? I need recommendations. Do you know any good small presses that publish young adult books?






13 comments:

  1. What a great top ten!! I need to look into these because I bet there are some great book out there by these smaller presses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thoguht about this too- how everything consolidates but it's nice there are small presses out trying to make it. Thanks for spotlighting some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every one of these is new to me! Thanks for pointing me to them! I'm definitely going to check out a couple!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, thanks for sharing these with me! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al of these presses sound interesting. I'll have to check them out!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm loving this AJ! What a fabulous post idea. And I looooove Harmony Ink haha so that's even better. Seriously, Julia Ember rose to become one of my favorite writers everrrrrr and she's published through them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a perfect post for me! I love reading & promoting small press literature, yet only know Salt from this list. More to check out :-)
    I think my favourites at the moment are Crime Wave Press, Archipelago Press and Guernica Editions. Gallic Books are good too.

    If you'd like to Guest Review a small press book you've enjoyed on Literary Flits, please let me know! Let's spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read many books from small press publishers but I have heard of Harmony Ink and Tin House. I actually won a book from Tin House that I'm excited about reading. It's called Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit I don't pay much attention to who publishes what...I just grab what I like the sound of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great list! I am horrible in that I do tend to stick to the big publishers. I do need to branch out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I do want to try and read more by small presses. I don't really pay attention to the publisher when I buy, but that usually results in buying mostly from the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great that you want to seek out small presses this year. I only really pay close attention to some local publishers, but I bet you can find a lot of interesting works put out by small presses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to confess that I'm horrible about paying attention to the smaller presses. I hope to get to know some of them through your blog!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete