Sunday, October 11, 2026

The Sunday Post #406

This post contains affiliate links. I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.


The Sunday Post is a chance to recap the past week, talk about next week, tell you what I’m reading, and share news. It’s hosted by The Caffeinated Book Reviewer, Readerbuzz, and Book Date.




The Sunday Post





On The Blog Recently






In My Reading Life


I read two books last week. They were both fine.




First, I finally read The Song Of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I understand what the hype is about! It's beautifully written with a cast of memorable characters. The ending is just as devastating as promised.

It seems like most bookworms are familiar with this novel, but if you're not, it's a Greek myth retelling about Achilles and Patroclus. They meet as children when Patroclus accidentally kills another child and is disowned by his family. Achilles and Patroclus become friends, then lovers, then soldiers, then legends.

This novel hooked me right away because Patroclus is easy to love. He's honest and tries his best in every situation. I enjoyed watching him and Achilles grow up.

The war chapters lost me. They dragged, which is probably the author's intention because the characters were also frustrated by the war and how long it was taking. I raced through the beginning of the book, but I lost my motivation to read it during all the battles and camp stuff. It was too long for me.

The ending hooked me again. I knew how the story ended before I started, but dang. That's intense.

I'm glad I finally read this one. Now I know why everybody loves it.





Then I read Idol, Burning by Rin Usami. It's a Japanese novel about fandom culture and isolation. High school student Akari is completely obsessed with her "oshi," a singer in a J-Pop group. She believes this singer is the only person who understand her, even though she's never met him. Then rumors surface that her oshi assaulted a female fan, and Akari's life is upended. Maybe she doesn't understand her oshi as well as she thought.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I like the premise. Akari lives vicariously through a celebrity. She doesn't have a life of her own because she puts all her resources into promoting and defending a man who doesn't know she exists. She calls her oshi her "backbone;" she'd collapse without him. Since I've never been part of a fandom, I found Akari's obsession really interesting. It's not a lifestyle I've thought about before.

I think the book needed to be longer. It didn't go deep enough for me. I was hoping to learn more about the media and how teenage girls get wrapped up in celebrity worship. Instead, the plot kind of meanders and only scratches the surface. It left me wondering what the reader is supposed to take away from this story.

Mostly, I liked it. I would love to read more books about fandom culture.





In The Rest Of My Life


Things that made me happy recently:


  • The weather has been pretty great. Every day I'm not drenched in sweat is a good day.
  • My favorite TV shows are back! I'm watching The Traitors, The Great British Bake Off, Survivor, Amazing Race, and all the Halloween cooking shows on the food channel. What are you watching?
  • I sold my excess bookshelves. I've been struggling to keep up with housekeeping, so I sold or donated the majority of my book collection. Now the shelves are gone too. Less dusting for me.
  • I think I found a new gym. I went to a boxing gym for years, but they recently raised their prices, and now it's unaffordable for me. The new gym is cheaper and occasionally has boxing classes. It's nowhere near as awesome as my previous gym, but I can cope.





My other projects:












Take care of yourselves and be kind to each other. See you around the blogosphere!





5 comments:

  1. I am watching Amazing Race and the Bake off, both of which I really enjoy watching. Also the recent Ted Lasso season, super fun.

    Your top quote totally applies to my daughter. In our family the introverts call camp, group activities, etc "forced fun."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that everythng is more expensive! And while you are selling your bookshelves I am remodeling a room to add more bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a new bookshelf instead of getting rid of one! I did give away some books, though. I've been too busy recently to watch anything besides YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing Paramount right now, and after that I may resubscribe to Netflix and watch the baking show. I reluctantly agreed to serve on our library board, and after only one meeting, I remember how much I hated group projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my 19 bookcases and have moved totally to ebooks and digital audiobooks. After the current election, I have planned some sorting and donating and repurposing. I have a good yoga mat and weights and a bike because I hate to go out to gyms. I have had memberships and I just don't go. I like to do stuff at home. The weather has been fantastic. It rained this weekend but we need it.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete